T-Top Conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Top Conversion question

1) Do you guys actually cut in the ridge or just before it?

2) What all comes with the conversion kit from speedautomotive and what does not (meaning the extra things I will need)??

1) I cut on the forward-edge of the 'gutter' or ridge, as you called it. Becuase I was using a dremell though, it wasn't a perfectly straight cut, so having it foward-more helped me have some lei-way on it.

2)What comes with the kit: The 2 tops, weather stripping, the center 'rail' that holds the tops down and together in the middle, the 4 mounting hole-pegs, and the plastic A-pillar trim & rear plastic 'cup' trim, and the plastic storage racks for the trunk.

What doesn't come with the kit: Headliner, T-top Windshield Trim. Speed Automotive will not ship the headliner, and does not include the windshield trim in the conversion kit. It was about $112 for headliner and about $30 the trim at my local GM dealership.

Also, here is a list of all the tools and materials I used to start and finish this project:
    · Dremell with about a dozen reinforced cut-off wheels
    · Sawzall with 2 "smooth" metal blades (I broke one on my 3rd to last cut)
    · Phillips screwdriver (Electric screwdriver is super helpful)
    · Power drill and various size metal bits
    · Pry Bar
    · Misc. hand tools (hammer, pliers/vice grips, sockets/ratchets)
    · Bondo body filler, glazing putty, a can of primer, and your color paint.
    · Sand paper (100 and 400 grit)
    · A Shop-Vac is also quite helpful.

-Mike
    <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE? WAS IT EASY
      I pledge aliegence to the flag that sits on the front facia of my camaro and to the Mickey Thompsons that make it stand two tires under torque indivisable

Comment

I did the majority of the work in one day. About 10 hours I'd estimate it to have been. I'm doing the bondo work and painting, and a couple more adjustments today. I'll round the time that I'd have spent to totally complete this job to anywhere from 20-25 hours total.
        2000 Camaro Z/28

Comment

It took me more like 35-40 hours total.... but I was working in a 1 car garage with no room to move and I did alot of standing and staring (my way to plan and anticipate things). Half of that was bondo/ sanding/ priming/ sanding/ painting/ clearcoating and adjusting to get rid of leaks

-Mike
          <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X