stock '96 Y87 aluminum rims/tires, need advices on cleaning maitainance - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stock '96 Y87 aluminum rims/tires, need advices on cleaning maitainance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock '96 Y87 aluminum rims/tires, need advices on cleaning maitainance

hello guys, need some help and advice on cleaning my stock Y87 aluminum rims and tires. The previous owner took good care of the car, but I've noticed that the rims' walls facing the disc brakes (the inner walls, what's their "official" name?) is basically black with brake dust and grime. It was so dark that I failed to notice its presence, if you know what i mean. I was wondering, what kinda of non-damaging cleaners should I get for my Y87 aluminum rims? I usually wash them down with soap and then put some liquid wax from wal mart on there, but the inside walls are hard to get to, and the grime makes it even harder to clean.

I've searched the apperance section about the topic, but many threads were inconclusive, with one suggestion followed by a rebuke saying that thing eats the clearcoat off the rim, making the rim crack, etc. I am a new comer to this, so pointers and suggestions are highly welcomed!
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

A certain 'type' of rims don't come with that package. However, use dish detergent to clean them. If you're concerned with the break dust buildup on the inside of your rims, take them off and clean them. If you do this and get them good and clean, you can maintain them fairly well just by spraying them down with a high pressure hose (not a pressure washer, although that does the trick well too).
    About the clearcoating on the rim, don't worry about it. Your rims having a clearcoat can actually harm them over time, if you don't keep your rims/clearcoat extremely clean all the time, over time your clearcoat will begin to fall off or fade. Not pretty :( I've never heard of your rims cracking from a lack of clearcoat...
    <b>« Red <i><a href=\"http://sandman.v8tec.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a></i> »</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X