Girlfriend scratched her car... Scratch X? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girlfriend scratched her car... Scratch X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girlfriend scratched her car... Scratch X?

So my g/f was pulling out of her drive way in her Civic (i know i know) and she bumped it into her stucco wall but as soon as it hit she slammed the brakes. She says the scratches are deep but not horrible. She also says you can see black which means she went through the paint all the way (her car is silver). My question is has anyone used Scratch X? I doubt these scratches can be buffed out if it's throught the paint. Anyone know what I can do? Thanks a lot.
    \'96 M5 Camaro White<br />Flowmaster Full Catback<br />SLP CAI<br />180* Thermo<br /><br />Stereo: H/U - Clarion DXZ725 <br />Alipne Type-R 6.5 Components (front), <br />Alpine Alpine SPS-1629S 6.5 <br />2 10\" JL 10w0<br /><br />\"One Love\" -Bob Marley

ttt
    \'96 M5 Camaro White<br />Flowmaster Full Catback<br />SLP CAI<br />180* Thermo<br /><br />Stereo: H/U - Clarion DXZ725 <br />Alipne Type-R 6.5 Components (front), <br />Alpine Alpine SPS-1629S 6.5 <br />2 10\" JL 10w0<br /><br />\"One Love\" -Bob Marley

Comment

I have used Scratch X and the Meguirs version. They do work, but not for scratches, more like little scuffs. They do help to improve the look of it, but it won't get rid of a deep scratch.

If it did get all the way down to the metal, I would make sure you do something so it wont rust.
      Cardomain

Comment

Thanks a lot. What should I do to stop rust? Would Scratch X help that?

Comment

Get some touchup paint from the dealership. Scratch X was the WORST crap I have ever wasted my money on! The rule on scratches is: If you can feel it with your finger, it needs to be painted.
          <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28</a>

Comment

Try this (it is specifically for fixing chips, but should work for a scratch as well):

1. Purchase touch-up paint for the car.
            2. Purchase a small amount of automotive clear coat.
            3. Wash the area surrounding the paint chip and dry it thoroughly.
            4. Using a small soft brush or Q-tip, clean out the paint chip.
            5. Shake up the touch-up paint
            6. Take a paper match and trim the non-lightable end to a point. Matches work well for applying paint.
            7. Apply a small amount of paint to the chip. Try not to get any on the surrounding paint.
            8. Allow the touch-up paint to dry thoroughly, then apply a layer of clear coat over the touch-up paint.
            9. Allow the clear coat to dry then apply a second layer. You want to build the clear coat up higher than the surrounding paint.
            10. Allow the paint to dry for 24 hours.
            11. Using 1500-grit sand paper, lightly sand the area. Make sure there is no dirt on the car or the sand paper. This will cause scratches.
            12. Using 2000-grit sand paper, sand the area again until smooth.
            13. Finish the process using a fine polishing compound on a soft cloth. This will bring back the shine.
            14. If you can still see swirl marks, try a car cleaner polish or a cleaner wax with a fine abrasive.
            15. The paint chip should now be gone and very hard to see. Only you will know where it was.

Tips:
            1. Don't be in a hurry. Make sure the paint is 100 percent dry before sanding.
            2. Only sand a very small area surrounding the paint chip. Don't go crazy.
            3. Sand only in one direction; do not go round in circles.
            <b>Mike</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mcjoslyn\" target=\"_blank\">2001 Camaro</a><br />Light Pewter Metallic Convertible<br />AU0,A31,C60,DG7,F41,GU6,K34,L36,M30,T82,T96,UN0<p ><b>If it can\'t be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.</b>

Comment

Thanks a lot man. I'm going to try that myself next weekend. I'll post pictures of before and after. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                2 days ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X