Where to buy paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy paint

I waas wondering where i could buy the mystic teal paint. i want to get some and try to paint my factory grill with it. i figured it would be a good place to start on. I do have someone that can teach me to paint. I was just wondering where i could buy it and what all i needed to make it look factory. like primer flake clear. and aboput how much it would cost for a small amount of the stuff i need.
    Starting Left Guard For the Blacville-Hilda Hawks 1A State Champions<br /><br />Mods: Free Ram Air, All Lights mods, K&N <br />Coming Soon:Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, Whisper Lid, HighFlow cat and Maybe Headers

When the day comes and I'm ready to paint my whole car, I'm probably going to buy my paint here at Sherwin Williams.
    I've had a few people online suggest them to me, but I don't know them on a personal level as where I could see the results of their paintjobs.
    sigpic

Comment

napa
      *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

I got my touch up paint at www.paintscratch.com It matched up really well. With rarer colors it's hard to find the paint at a regular auto store.

Comment

is a pint enough to do the grille and maybe soem of the interior.
          Starting Left Guard For the Blacville-Hilda Hawks 1A State Champions<br /><br />Mods: Free Ram Air, All Lights mods, K&N <br />Coming Soon:Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, Whisper Lid, HighFlow cat and Maybe Headers

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks#1:
            is a pint enough to do the grille and maybe soem of the interior.
            Yes, because you have to mix about 60% paint and 40% reducer in order for the spraygun to properly spray the paint out evenly and efficiently.
            Some even go 50-50 with the paint and reducer.

BTW, what kind of spraygun are you using and what size tip? To spray a car's base coat, I use a 1.4 tip. Primer will require at least a 1.6...or even better, a 1.8.
            sigpic

Comment

Here is another place to buy paint&gt;&gt;

http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/index.jsp
              sigpic

Comment

sherwin williams is a reliable paint store. i buy most of my paint there.
                #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

i really couldnt tell u what spray gun or tip. i will have to look in in teh morning. i assume i could bu different tips. is that all i would have to have

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks#1:
                    i really couldnt tell u what spray gun or tip. i will have to look in in teh morning. i assume i could bu different tips. is that all i would have to have
                    Okay, lets start from the beginning:

What kind of Paint Gun do you have and what size Air Compressor (Gallons and HorsePower) are you using?
                    sigpic

Comment

ita s 6.5 Hp 60 gallon compresser and a Campbell Hausfeld spray gun. thats all i know

Comment

The compressor is more than enough! I don't know much about the Spraygun though, but I don't see why it wouldn't do the job. Take the tip off of the gun and there should be a round plastic insert that has the numbers (size) molded into it. Example; My Devilbiss has 1.4mm molded into the spray tip. I'll use that to shoot the basecoat/clearcoat. I bought a 1.8mm tip for the primer. Your Best-Bet is to shoot some pieces of metal first to see how the paint comes out. You don't want your grill to be your first attempt! Practice a bit with a different paint, and then clearcoat on top.

Remember... ALWAYS use light coats whan applying bc/cc's (basecoat/clearcoats). If you go too heavy on a pass, it'll show! You'll get runs, orange-peels, wave's in the finish, etc.

Try this site&gt; http://autobody101.com/forums/index.php

I am still trying different things with my paint, and I'll need alot more practice before I attempt to spray my Camaro.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes, spraying on color is much more difficult than primer. The guy who helped us work on my buddy's eclipse did the primer, but said he doesn't feel comfortable spraying color yet and he's been messing around with it for a while...
                          Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

i will check in a min. i am going to look at it now. after i wash and wax my baby......Mine didnt have a plastic ring. i couldn't find it anywhere.

[ February 07, 2006, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Hawks#1 ]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X