Where to tap into 12V power source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to tap into 12V power source?

I'm thinking about some interior lighting ideas(perhaps putting some CCL's underneath the seats). Since I don't have power seats, I heard that I could tap into the harness that is behind and under the driver's seat. I took a look at it and am a lil bit confused as to where to tap into it. It looks like there are leads for positive and negative...Can someone explain to me how it works...it looks like a harness that plugs into itself...weird to explain. I will take a pic later if anyone wants to see it...can't do it now cause it's 4:13 a.m. and it's the low 40's outside now.

Anywhere else that's convenient to tap into? I heard the cigarette lighter or the fuse panel. Anyone know what I have to take apart to get to these? Don't really want wires to be visible. Wiring diagrams would be fine, pictures if possible. I know enough about wiring and circuitry to do the installs, but I have no clue what or how to take apart to get to the wires. Would love to see how you guys usually wire things up. Thanks.
    Yes, I know \"Artic\" should be spelled \"Arctic\". Can any of the mods change this?

well, easiest way to get to the cig wires is through the "tcs" panel at the front of the dashdont have it? then might have to take the top console out. might want to do that anyway to run the wires...

its just one orange(power) and one black(ground)
    - \"So you have something to look at when you\'re talking to \'em\" - <br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=296916\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=296916</a>

Comment

Where or what is the tcs panel? Is it the panel above the radio with the switches(I have Second gear start and fog lights there, with the "camaro" plaque). How would I take this stuff off? Also, if I tap into the cigarette lighter or any source for that matter, would I need to add an inline fuse? Thanks.
      Yes, I know \"Artic\" should be spelled \"Arctic\". Can any of the mods change this?

Comment

tap in to the fuse panle under one of the IGN (i think) open spots, that way your lights turn off when you turn off you key and you do for get, just push it in the front of the fuse panle and your done
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Now, if I tap into that, is it only the positive wire that goes to one blade of the fuse? Would I have to ground the other wire somewhere?

Comment

Does anyone know what this is used for? I took some pics of this connector behind the driver's seat. There is not one on the passenger side. Possibly power seats(I don't have power seats) connector or seat belt sensor? I dunno about the seat belt sensor because the passenger side doesn't have one. And I'm not too sure how the sensor works anyways...once you click the latch, the light disappears. Well, here's the pics I took anyways:

One end is power...it's got black(ground) and a striped terminal. The other end of the connector has both wires black as you can see... dunno if it's a dud or maybe I should just use my multimeter to test the voltage. Anybody know what these wires and connectors do?

Comment

dont know what that is, but post a pic of your console under your radio, yours is not the same as mine...
              - \"So you have something to look at when you\'re talking to \'em\" - <br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=296916\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=296916</a>

Comment

if your car takes the mini blade fuses, autozone sells a product called "add a cicuit" you remove a fuse, plug the unit into the fuse box and replace your fuse, then it has a wire lead comming off you can run your accessories too, autozone also sells a control panel which lights up that allows you to control a few accessories like lighting. Or you could just tap into a 12v source in the ingnition harness under the dash (red wire).
                1990 Firebird 3.1 T-Tops<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />Kenwood MP 825 Deck<br />4\" Rockfords w/ tweet in dash plate<br />3 Way 6x9 Rockords in rear sails<br />1970 Camaro 350

Comment

Here are pics of my console:

And I didn't know about that "add a circuit" thingie that they sell. Cool. I'll keep it mind! Thanks guys.

P.S. Oh, and I found out from the camaroz28.com forums that the plug/harness behind the driver's seat is indeed for the seatbelt sensor/chime.

[ March 01, 2004, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: ArticRider ]

Comment

Originally posted by ArticRider:
                    Does anyone know what this is used for? I took some pics of this connector behind the driver's seat.
                    I've wondered what that thing is too. I never thought about the seatbelt light. If that's what it is the passenger side wouldn't need one because there isn't a seatbelt light for that side.
                    <a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/New/IMG_0085.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Black 2002 Camaro M5</a>-SS takeoff muffler, B&M Ripper, K&N Filter, 35/20% tint, Infinity speakers, Viper alarm, perpetually breaking clutch return spring mod. 15.49@90.15<br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P14.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Pewter 2002 Firebird M5 (Dad\'s Car)</a>

Comment

that square panel with the "top" button should come off, and there should be enough slack in the cig wires to tap them....

post if it works.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                        Good to see the site is back up
                        by 2.8 Bird
                        So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                        5 hours ago
                      • FirebirdGT
                        New Site Hosting Issues
                        by FirebirdGT
                        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                        1 week ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X