Cheapest Solution Is the BEST!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest Solution Is the BEST!!!

I bought my black 99 Firebird in May, and it's always had these little rock chips/bug remains on the front bumper that were chipped out, and filled in with white (wax I'm assuming). It REALLY made the car look like crap, as it was speckled with white all over the front bumper.

I have been trying since MAY to get these stupid things out...I've tried claybarring, I've tried waxes, washes, everythnig you can think of...and spent far more money than I should have.

My dad talked to a guy at work and he has a black Viper and he said the best way to take all that white specks out is to rub vegetable oil (or cooking oil) on a paper towel over it, and it comes right off.

I tried it, and sure enough, the front bumper looks as close to brand new as you could ever imagine...it even took off the white scratches where I've bottomed out so elegantly.

I would take some before/after pics, but now I only have after....great idea!
    Summer:<br />1999 Black Pontiac Firebird Coupe<br />5-speed, T-Tops, Chrome Rims, TA Hatch, Reflective Decals.<br /><br />Winter:<br />2000 Silver Grand Am GT<br />Reflective Black Badge Overlays, chrome

i have never heard this before. has anyone else ever tried it?

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

you mean it removed the bug remains??

--matt

Comment

Yeah. I'm sure it didn't remove any chips or anything like that.

But I guess it could have removed Bugs and Tar. Personaly I use WD-40 for this purpose.
        1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

mines exactly the same way, it just removed the wax buildup in the holes that makes the chips stand out so much....i gotta try that ASAP!
          <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Ok, for those of you that don't see what I'm saying (I cuold've explained better).

Whoever owned the car before me obviously never cared to clean the bugs off often, so it had a lot of dings in the front bumper (near the front license area) that were almost "chips" of bug remains so to say. This, added to the white dust like look of smaller rock chips, was filled in around the edges where the chip was with white wax. (I think it was wax...)

At a distance and up close it makes your bumper look speckled with white and it's really an eyesore. I tried this with the vegetable oil, rubbed it on with a paper towel (and rubbed it well where the rock chips/bug chips were.

Yes, the surface is still rough when you move your hand over it, but the only thing that'll eliminate that is to have the bumper buffered, which I'm not doing right now. However, you can't even tell that there is white on the bumper anymore. Took it all right off, and while you can go RIGHT up close and still see there are chips, you can't tell because there's no white in it anymore.

I can't tell you how good this worked, you guys I should try it (and if your testy, just try a small patch somewhere).

I also used this trick on my driver and passanger mirrors outside the car which had rock chips in them...they look brand new!
            Summer:<br />1999 Black Pontiac Firebird Coupe<br />5-speed, T-Tops, Chrome Rims, TA Hatch, Reflective Decals.<br /><br />Winter:<br />2000 Silver Grand Am GT<br />Reflective Black Badge Overlays, chrome

Comment

I tried this on my bright red camaro the other day and i can say that this works well. It doesnt remove any scratches or anything but it does make all the marks less noticable.
              1995 Camaro 3.4L<br />dynomax super turbo muffler<br />SLP CAI<p>It\'s red so it must be fast!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                3 hours ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                1 week ago
              • LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X