Wheel polishing questions????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel polishing questions????

got me some 17 X 10 Boyd Smoothie II's on the way..

have a few question about wheel care as all ive ever had was chrome.

1)What is everyone using as far as polishing the wheels. i have some mothers mag / aluminum polish that i use on my prostars? anything out on the shelves better??

2) once i get the wheel clean and polished up nicely can the wheel be waxed with regular car wax..ie Gold class. to provide some protection for them?

3) what about the clear coat in a can. how well does this stuff work. seems like i could get the them polished up nicely, wax them with some gold class and then spray the clear coat on them and be set for a few months..

anyone have some other advice for me??

Jeff W

Clear coat will dilute the finish. Regular clearcoat will not give you as nice a look as it won't be 100% transparent. It will chip, and once it chips, you will have to either look at the unsightly clearcoat as it deterioates or strip the wheels. A major PITA. (I spent way too much time with aircraft stripper taking the stock paint/clear off my wheels, the stuff was burning through chemical gloves, and it's just not fun.

You can either polish your wheels every month or so, or wax them with carnauba, or find aluminum sealer.

My buddy sent his LT1 intake out to get be polished, for like 125$ it came back absolutely amazing, it looks unbelievable. The guy who did the work sent a sheet with information on how to maintain the finish. He suggested a sealer (which I cannot remember for the life of me right now) that is made specifically for Aluminum, like 125$ for a can, but if your buying 1000$ wheels and want the best look and dont' want to polish every month and risk letting them pit, it might be worth it to you. I'll ask my buddy for the name.
    \"Since I started working, every single day has been worse than the day before, so that every day you see me is the worst day of my life\"

Comment

http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp

Thats the stuff, 2-3 year finish...w/o dulling like clearcoat would.
      \"Since I started working, every single day has been worse than the day before, so that every day you see me is the worst day of my life\"

Comment

mothers aluminum wheel polish is the way to go. i use it like once a week, and my wheels look great

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Loochy88:
          mothers aluminum wheel polish is the way to go. i use it like once a week, and my wheels look great<hr></blockquote>

I'd rather be driving my car then waxing my wheels every week. It gets old...then again I have friends who wash their cars 5 times a week.

Comment

I have wheels that took me 5 hrs to polish one wheel last time... I will NOT sit around and polish all 4 every week. It would be a weekend project and I have to work lol.
            00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bobrules:

I'd rather be driving my car then waxing my wheels every week. It gets old...then again I have friends who wash their cars 5 times a week.
              <hr></blockquote>

i use mothers too on the chrome wheels on my dsm

a little elbow grease and they're good to go :D

of course, i wash my car every week too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                1 week ago
              • LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X