Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust

My car is from up north. IL, which means hella salt in the winter. I didn't pay any attention to the underside. The other day while on the lift.. I noticed that there is a lot of rust under there. Everything.. I already plan to change all the bolts and fasteners. My question is, is there anyway to remove the rust and prevent it from coming back. I think that it's really just surface rust. I hasn't gotten the chance to eat through the frame yet, but I'm sure that's what's gonna happen if I don't do anything about it..

Sorry this was so long.
    Any suggestions?
    2000 Camaro Z/28

I'm not sure exactly what you would have to do to accomplish this or maintain it but I was told last time my car was up on a lift that if you were to sand the rust away and paint the metal parts they wouldn't rust again until the paint started to chip and peel. I would imagine there would be a lot of work involved in this and high-heat paint most likely would have to be used. It would also take someplace where you could get your car up high enough to comfortably paint under it. Another issue may be rocks and such, if they get kicked up under your car they could chip the paint off which would just lead to even more rust. Just an idea, hope it helps. Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

Thanks man, I'm gonna put it up on a lift today and take a steel wire wheel to it. After that one of the guys at the hobby shop said that I should use something call POR (Paint on Rust) and that should prevent it from coming back.
      2000 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Yeah, POR-15 rocks! It's expensive though.
        \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

The only way (that I know of) to remove rust and keep it from coming back is to use a wire brush to remove it (you have to remove ALL of it), clean that area and paint it... Or you could do what I did and move to AZ [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Clean it all off and go to Wal-Mart and buy rubberized undercoating it is messy but will take care of the problem forever.
            2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Thanks for the posts guys.....
              2000 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I would have to agree with Shadly. POR-15 is the way to go. I see it in my super chevy mag. all the time. I've never seen it used, but from reading about it. It seems that is the best thing to use.
                2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
                5 speed
                Project: Unreal
                Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
                2007 Chevy Aveo 5
                Mods K&N air filter:excited:
                www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

ziebart rust protection
                  $247 Plus warranty
                  My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by predator5100:
                    ziebart rust protection
                    $247 Plus warranty
                    <hr></blockquote>
                    Ouch! That hurts! POR-15 is only $80 a gallon. Thanks for putting the cost of POR-15 in perspective.
                    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X