preparation for mother nature - best wax/polish for protection? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

preparation for mother nature - best wax/polish for protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preparation for mother nature - best wax/polish for protection?

hello guys, I am finally going to take my firebird to campus this fall, but I am a bit worried about exposing her to mother nature [img]smile.gif[/img] I guess she's been somewhat of a garage queen.

I've been researching the forum and net for the best wax/polish for protection, but I really have not had any conclusive answer. Most talks seem to be revolve around shine, but not much protection. Can you guys give me some inputs? The car is gonna be sitting in outside parking lots with no shade whatsoever (!) :( I think I will stay clear of trees since it does snow during the winter in northern NC, and I've seen trees collapsing and damaging cars in the campus lot.

Until now, my routine for cleaning the car is wash with autowash and cotton cloth, dry with chamois, then spray a coat of a polish/wax in one compound (it says it contains carbaura wax, I got it at wal-mart and actually not cheap, $9 I think - I'll post the complete name later on). Recently I added Rain-X, and I just bought a Mothers Clay Bar kit but have yet to try it. My car gets dirty pretty fast with that all-in-one polish/wax. What would be the best polish and wax to use if I want max protection? A nice shine is great too, but I won't be able to do anything once I am at campus as far as maintaining the paint except for quick cleaning of bird droppings and insects. It'll be at least thanksgiving before I'll be home, and then in the spring I might come home for spring break, but that would be it. So whatever I use has to last a substantial period of time.

Oh, and preferablly it should be fairly inexpensive too [img]smile.gif[/img]
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

a lot of people will say zaino. mothers may give you a comparable/better shine, but zaino will be a better protectant as it actually layers on the car.
    \'96 <b>Quasar Blue</b> Firebird A4<br /><a href=\"http://jamiethekiller@comcast.net\" target=\"_blank\"><i>jamiethekiller@comcast.net</i></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.woodlandrock.com\" target=\"_blank\">my band: woodland</a>

Comment

Nu-Finish gives a decent shine and lasts for a long time (says 52 washes or for a whole year), but so far it's held up very well for me. My car is pretty shiny on top of that too. It beads up in rain extremely well, and also makes washing the car a breeze since things just spray off basically.
      A lot of other people will say to use Zaino also. It's a bit more expensive, but it's what showcar people swear by for the most part for shine and durability. I'm gonna give Liquid Glass a shot too, a lot of people speak highly of that too. But Nu-Finish does wonders for my car, I love it. It applies like a breeze - wipe on, let dry, wipe off. It comes in an orange bottle and can be bought for like $5 at Walmart. I love it.
      AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

Don't forget the interior. If your back and side windows are not tinted, get them tinted, and don't for get to get a windshield cover thing. If you keep the sun out of your car, the interior won't get sun damaged, faded, or craked. And it will keep it fairly cool, when it is time leave.

As for bird poop, get meguires quick detailer, it will desolve bird poop and make it easy to get wipe off.
        Cardomain

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
          New Site Hosting Issues
          by FirebirdGT
          All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
          1 week ago
        • LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          4 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X