Paint Guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Guns?

My wife gave me the money (Father's Day) to buy a paint gun so I can paint my '69 project.

What paint guns do you guys use?

Should I buy a HVLP gun?

Name brand or a Harbor Freight quality gun?

Please give me any words of wisdom! :D

Thanks!

:cool:
    <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/red69falcon/\" target=\"_blank\">1969 Falcon</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/81706526iUXWli\" target=\"_blank\">1972 Harley & Misc. Project Pics</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.geoci

I've always used CP (Chicago Pneumatics) guns, but I hear that Harbor Freight guns are decent too.

The great thing about HVLP guns is that in order for them to WORK they pretty much have to be made well. The tollerances required to shoot todays paints are very narrow, so if the gun shoots, generally it shoots well.

One note about HVLP, however. If you are used to a simple gravity-fed or cup and tube type gun, you're going to need some practice with an HVLP. Talk about a whole new world!

My observations on shooting different types of paint:

-Most primers are NO problem.

-Self etching primers are pretty thin and you can puddle that crap FAST.

-Martin Senior paints shoot best in my gun, PPG are good and DuPont paints downright suck. (in my gun)

-When you add an elasticiser (bumper additive) to the paint, it will thicken it and you'll need to make a pretty major adjustment to the nozzle, and sometimes even the air pressure.

-Clear coats. What can I say? They're all different. PPG clears shoot well in my gun, but again DuPont clears are a nightmare. Martin Senior clears are good all around.

-Metallics: Ouch. Here's why I keep a tube in cup around! My gun simply will not shoot metallics well. Splotchy, uneven, runs and talk about strange overspray! Depending on the pattern, the gun nozzle can actually seperate (after atomization) the binder from the metallic pigment. The result is very flat paint with what looks like glitter sitting on top. Very strange.

-Make sure you get a good regulator, inline ones are handy, but break about three at $80 each and you'll be ready to walk across the booth to adjust pressure!

-The single best piece of advice I can give you is to clean it like it's going back to the store. EVERY TIME. Thinners, additives and most enamels will attack the aluminium that most nozzles are made of. Eventually the nozzle will oxidize and you'll notice that you get orange peeling due to uneven spray patterns. If you have the cash flow, just keep some nozzles on hand. Otherwise, wash 'em good.

Hope this helps!

-Brian
    Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

I forgot to mention the most bad*ssed gun I've ever used.

It was some kind of DeVilbiss gun that was totally aluminium. The gun weighed less than one pound WITH CUP. (HVLP) It was like painting with an empty gun.

The trigger was smooth, spray very even. I would love to find one, but when I looked for it, I couldn't find it. The best one they make is like $800 or something rediculous.

-Brian
      Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X