Making the brakes look better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the brakes look better

Just got the new wheels today (check the sig) and now i can see the brakes and they look nasty below the beautiful wheels, what all do I need to upgrade them on front and back? I know slotted rotors help but I can't seem to find a total "nice" solution.... anybody got some suggestions and/or pics of their brakes?
    ===========================<br />1995 Green Firebird 3.4L V6<br />160 degree thermostat<br />4 - American Eagle 077 Polished 17\" wheels<br />4 - Kumho 711 245/45/17 tires<br />Pioneer DEH-7300 Deck<br />Pioneer GM-X564 480 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier<br />4 - Pioneer TS-A1795 6.5\" speakers<br />2 - Pioneer TS-W3041DVC<br />12\" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofers in custom box<br />============================

You're looking for looks rather then performance so I'll move this to Appearance section.

Baer and Brembo among others make complete brake systems.

Comment

well if you dont wanna spend the $$ on a brake kit...

get some BLACK engine paint (flat or gloss), take of the wheels.....paint your wheel wells black, paint the calipers, drums whatever you could think of. Then get some custom caliper decals. On top of that you can get some drilled or slotted rotors for a decent price. They work 100x better than stock rotors.

Comment

Hey, just a note. Instead of painting the inside wheel wells black, theres actually a special kind of stuff you can get that body shops use to restore the look of damaged wheel wells. I can't think of the name of it right now, but I'm sure you could find info on it somewhere.

1994 Blue 3.4l 5-speed
        K&N Filtercharger
        Eibach Pro-Kit
        KYB Gas-A-Just shocks
        Pioneer 6-disc changer
        Alpine speakers
        Broken clutch cable :(

Soon: custom ram-air, exhaust

Comment

Engine paint is normally rated at about 500 degrees and brakes reach close to that. Over time engine paint will come off due to heat buildup and cool down. JEGS carries caliper spray paint I believe this is rated at above 1300 degrees.
          1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by scooby:
            Engine paint is normally rated at about 500 degrees and brakes reach close to that. Over time engine paint will come off due to heat buildup and cool down. JEGS carries caliper spray paint I believe this is rated at above 1300 degrees.<hr></blockquote>

Well I have had my calipers painted for quite a while now with normal engine paint. No fading, cracking, chipping or anything else up to this point. And I drive my car ALOT.

Comment

i've had mine painted with $1 walmart paint and they haven't faded or cracked yet either. Doesn't need to be high temp either. After a year or two just repaint with another coat

Comment

You guys must be using some pretty good sh*t because I painted my brake drums cast aluminum engine paint and within the first few days I had little paint chips and paint dust all over my rear wheels. And as we all know a caliper will get hotter than the exterior of a brake drum. Whatever its just odd that they would make something specifically to do this that is rated higher than normal paint.
                1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

Yeah I used black caliper paint and I couldn't see them at all, they just looked dirty, so I bought some blue engine paint. (the only ford product I will ever buy - ford blue) It looked brighter on the cap, but it still looks alright.
                  1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                  1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by scooby:
                    You guys must be using some pretty good sh*t because I painted my brake drums cast aluminum engine paint and within the first few days I had little paint chips and paint dust all over my rear wheels. And as we all know a caliper will get hotter than the exterior of a brake drum. Whatever its just odd that they would make something specifically to do this that is rated higher than normal paint.<hr></blockquote>

its called doing several coats then spraying them with a few layers of clear coat.

Comment

Paint them Pink
                      Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn thats a great idea. Or I could just let my red fade.

I used engine paint and it looks great. Only problem I've had is for some reason some black stuff shows up that won't wash off. So if it gets bad enough I spray brake cleaner on them and repaint them. Looks great too.
                        1998 Red RS 3.8l A4<br /> Whisper - K&N - N20 - 1LE Panhard - Ghetto STB - 255/50ZR16 Ecsta<br /> Removed grille - Limo tint - blackouts - A-pillar cf a/f ratio<br /> Panasonic DF88 - 1 12\" Eclipse 88120.4 - Eclipse 3322 amp<p><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/raven_rs\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/raven_rs</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X