Red Gauge Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Gauge Lights

K guys, finally got this done. I spent my whole sunday ripping my car apart and I took out all the little lights behind the gauges and after spending 3 hours trying to find some red bulb replacements I went ghetto and looked for some red translucent wrap. Couldn't find none so I bought a .77cent bow and chopped it taped up all the lights really good and stuck them back in. Everything looks great except for a few little glitches I have to fix, but the colors look fairily dull compared to some others. I want it to be really really bright red. Does anyone know where I could get about 20 or so of these lights in bright red? They have to make them. I think the numbers are PC161. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Ted

Btw, I'm opening a new site with a mods section. I got a digital camera and I took pictures of how I did these red lights so I'll post it up if anyone wants to try it.

This topic came up not to long ago, but I don't quite remeber when. Run a search and see if you can find it.
    -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

I did a search and didn't see anything. It was probably me a few posts ago asking where I could get some lights. I contacted chevy and asked them where I could get some red ones. Hopefully they can help me. If not i'll just have to stick to my foil wrap. If anyone else can help or knows where I can order exact parts for my car please help.

Ted

Comment

I can get you some for about $10 here and ship them 2 you if you can't find any there.
        2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=5&t=000782&p=

You just gotta know what to look for I guess.
          -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

I baught my red cluster lights from Pep Boys, 2.50 for a 2 pack. It's very easy to do. The only thing is that when you put back the clear protective part you have to make sure all the needles are okay, mine got stuck a few times because the fall and it's a little difficult to get the thing on without getting a needle stuck a few times. Nothing happened though so don't worry too much about it.
            1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm gonna go to pepboy's today and replace my ghetto lights with some new ones and get all my little bugs fixed. Thanks though.

Ted

Comment

I did this mod last spring, and lemme explain what I did.

First off, with those 194R bulbs you buy from Rice-Boys or Wal-Mart, the color burns off after about 3 months.

I tried a number of things, including stained glass stain, and some specific varnish(don't ask on that one) What I finally did, was buy $0.96 red Testors model paint, the oil-based enamel paint from the Toys/Hobby department of Wal Mart. I was going to try that first but I was worried that it would be opaque, but after trying the other 2 things, that were transparent and not bright enough, I came to the conclusion that x-mas light bulbs are opaque colors.

So I painted the 7 bulbs with that paint and put them back in. Wow! DEEP DARK blood red. But after a week it burned off some and now it's a solid BRIGHT red, and after that first week it's stayed at the same level of brightness and not faded ANY in 7 months. Granted, I turn my dash dimness all the way down during the day to prevent any excessive use of them so they last longer, but so far this has worked great.

I'll warn you though, the first month or so it realy STINKS when you turn the lights on... but that goes away after a while. I'd have pictures but I can't get enough light into my camera to get a good pic of it :(

Good luck!

-Mike
                <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

Couldnt you call up a VW parts department and ask for a set of red and blue bulbs? Will they fit our cars?
                  1994 Meduim Quasar Blue Camaro 3.4 M5<br />Moroso CAI,Clear Corner lenses, Eibach Pro-kit, KYB AGX adjustable, Poly-Urethane End-links, Synthetic Fluid all around, BFG VR-4\'s 245/50-16,ES Trans mount<p>Coming soon....<br />One piece DS and new u-joints!<p> <a href=\"http://bluevortex.cz28.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://bluevortex.cz28.com</a>

Comment

Listen up guys, this will definately be a little more work, but i am sure it will be worth it. What you might think about trying, is wiring in some holy crap bright led's for the gauge lights. led's are really cool because they never burn out. Just a thought, let me know if you try it. [img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img]
                    231 (3.8L to those of you who don\'t like cubic inches) Silver Camaro<br />80 series flowmaster<br />k&n air filter<p>\"if it is good enough for the general, then it is good enough for me\"

Comment

The only problem would be that the LED's wouldn't dim with the dimmer. They'd either be ON or OFF. :( You'd have to create another circuit to dim the LED's if you wanted them dimmed.

Good idea, though... :D
                      Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

im gonna call vw and check
                        2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

Here's some pics of my red gauge cluster...

Sorry bout the poor quality pics. It's a cheapo digicam. :(

Pretty cool mod if you ask me. It even matches my Kenwood MP3 player...

Now, time to change the damn A/C control and headlight control bulbs... ;)
                          E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeanC97:
                            Listen up guys, this will definately be a little more work, but i am sure it will be worth it. What you might think about trying, is wiring in some holy crap bright led's for the gauge lights. led's are really cool because they never burn out. Just a thought, let me know if you try it. [img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

You can buy some 194's that are LED's. I got some off of ebay for about 5 bux.

Red LED's on eBay
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1<br />1996 Camaro M5 Sexy Black<br />\'99 Vette Wheels with Nittos<br />1LE Swaybars/Endlinks<br />Bests: R/T .659, 60\' 2.179, 1/8 9.957, 1/4 15.6, MPH 87.26<br /><a href=\"http://www.camaroman.cz28.com\" target=\"_blank\">My New Website</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X