About to paint fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to paint fenders

I have to paint both front fenders for my car. One side has to be sanded down, the other is a black piece so it's ready to go.

I went to a body shop near me (that way I can walk home) and the guy said he'll do both for $250. He'll put 3 coats base and 2 clearcoat. I thought great, I expected it to be more. He said it'll be done same time next day, if I bring it at 1pm on friday, it'll be done by saturday evening.

Isn't that a little too fast? How long does paint have to dry? It's going to be really cold (like 15-20) during the weekend and snowing and I have to use the car on Sunday. Should I postpone it till next week?
    97 Camaro rs 3.8<br />Flowmaster catback<br />High flow cat

If the job is done right, it should take three to five days. The paint is where you need to take your time and let it dry correctly between coats. Not just slapping paint and clearcoat on it then giving it to you right away. "The next day" is what Maaco does. I would find someone else.
    sigpic

Comment

you dont want to do it when its cold outside, then the paint doesnt cure right and the paint will crack later on.

Comment

Yeah that's what I figured I'll postpone it till next weekend when it's warmer.

I want to go this this guy because he's so close to my house. Now when you say 3-5, he puts the paint on the first day and the rest are for drying or are you supposed to put a coat on then wait a day and put another one? I mean if I pick it up next week on saturday after it's been there for 24hrs, then I drive it straight to the garage and keep it there until Monday morning, won't that be enough?

Comment

After any part has been painted once, it has to dry under a heat source (like a heatlamp) which could take a few hours, then you put another coat of paint on. This process repeats about 3-5 times. After the painting is finished, wait about 24 hours before applying the clearcoat. The clearcoat goes on the same way; Light/even coats, heatlamp to dry. After all of that is done, wait for another day to start sanding the finish with 2000 grit sandpaper to get any uneven spots off and any kind of "Orange Peeling" that may have formed, then a good coat of wax.

If this guy is going to spray your car and give it back to you within 24 hours, it won't be good! It takes time to do something like that the right way. The paint doesn't have enough time to properly cure, and there will be a quickly sparayed clearcoat on top of it which adds to the paint not drying properly.

This is advice I'm just giving for your reference. But hey...it's your money.
          sigpic

Comment

hockey is right... and btw you have to sand down both fenders, anything that is being painted needs to be sanded. I would also see if he would go with 3 base - 3 clear... this will give you better paint protection, and also allow you to detail your car by 2000-2500 and buffing after the clear gets it's minor scratches and whatnot on down the road.
            It\'s a beautiful life<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035163\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035163</a>

Comment

Thanks for telling me that. I didn't know how long it should take. I'll just tell him to do 3 base and 3 clear and leave it from Friday to Monday. I don't want it to turn out crappy but I can't leave it for a week because I need the car.

[ February 17, 2006, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: odw777 ]

Comment

I'd look for a better shop. Don't just go somewhere because it's convenient, get it done right. If he offered to do it that way, it's probably not a very good place, and I wouldn't trust him to do it right after that.
                1998 Firebird<br />V6 M5<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239301/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239301/1</a>

Comment

the fenders can be painted in one day with no poblems. if the black fender is on the car already it will have to come off to be cut in before painting. if the other fender needs body work it will take more than one day to do it right. but if there is no body work the process will go as follows. first the black fender will bave to be sanded with a scotch brite and then be cut in(which means paint the edges and any part that cant be painted while on the car) then the part will be put on the car. judgeing by the price there will be no blending to the hood or doors, which by the way i recomend. the one day turnaround will only be achieved if there is no primer involved. there is no need to worry about the temp outside, the paintbooth will be heated due to the fact that you need to paint with temp of 70 or higher. the basecoat will be applied first with each coat having a dry or tack time of about 5 to 10 min. it is best to let the painter judge the amount of base coats wile painting. after the last coat of base has tacked off it is time for clear. you dont want the base to dry befor you clear or you will have to sand befor you apply clear. after first coat of clear has tacked off, aprox 10 min. you can apply second coat. there will be no need for a third coat of clear. if there is no trash in the clear the job is done. the clear will be dry to the touch in about 2 hours and fully cured in about 2 months. if there is trash in the clear it will have to sit over night and be sanded out and then buffed the next day. so the job can be done in one day with nothing to worry about. if you have any other questions about paint and body i will be happy to answer them

Comment

Re: About to paint fenders

Mjones is right. I was in an auto body class and we never let the base coat dry for a day. We always applied the clear the same day.
                    1999 Bright Red A4 3.8L V6 Camaro
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2589653
                    http://www.myspace.com/jhonathanw

Comment

Originally posted by Jhonathan_W
                      Mjones is right. I was in an auto body class and we never let the base coat dry for a day. We always applied the clear the same day.
                      I'm sorry, but I disagree. That's just too fast. Paint must be given time to cure. Last thing you want is to spray clearcoat on top of uncured paint. You'll get alot of wrinkling in the paint's top-coat if you do. I know shops that let each spray dry for at least 5 days before applying the next phase. Hell, there is even a shop here in Philly that allows bodywork to cure for a whole month before applying a primer to it.
                      I haven't been into the bodywork buisness for a long time, but what I did learn is "not to rush things". Especially painting. -MAACO will apply primer, paint and clearcoat within the same day, then have to defend themselves when the customer comes back in a month or two with numerous complaints.
                      sigpic

Comment

there is new paint out there that cures in like 12 hours. i painted my whole front end and let it dry over night and it is fine no paint cracking and what not. my car was out this whole winter in cold *** weather so i feel you will be fine just make sure they wetsand the car once its all dry so you don't have the orange peel
                        95 camaro 3.4auto, 3:23 gears, K&n intake, jet stage 1 chip, clear corners, flowmaster 80series, carsound cat,

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman
                          I'm sorry, but I disagree. That's just too fast. Paint must be given time to cure. Last thing you want is to spray clearcoat on top of uncured paint. You'll get alot of wrinkling in the paint's top-coat if you do. I know shops that let each spray dry for at least 5 days before applying the next phase. Hell, there is even a shop here in Philly that allows bodywork to cure for a whole month before applying a primer to it.
                          I haven't been into the bodywork buisness for a long time, but what I did learn is "not to rush things". Especially painting. -MAACO will apply primer, paint and clearcoat within the same day, then have to defend themselves when the customer comes back in a month or two with numerous complaints.
                          You do not have to let paint sit for 5 days. That is way overdoing it. You give it 10-15 mins and you can apply the clear. Nothing will happen, believe me I have done it before.
                          1999 Bright Red A4 3.8L V6 Camaro
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2589653
                          http://www.myspace.com/jhonathanw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X