Rear Hatch open / close motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Hatch open / close motor.

Hey guys.. ive got an idea and im just curious what you guys think about it, or if u think it will work or not.. any advice opinoins are welcome.

A friend of mine has a 91 Firebird, and it has a button you push for the back hatch that pushes up the hatch a few inches when u open it, and pulls the hatch shut when you set the hatch down

It doesnt completley open and close it but it's still pretty cool, he has a parts car in his shop, and said he would take the other locking mechanism and the switch and all out for like 20 bucks for me..

Itll probably be a bit of work or may not work at all but u think i should try it?
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Whaa..? Are you asking if you should get the same thing he has installed on your car? I mean, if you honestly don't feel like lifting your hatch then go ahead and do it, but I don't think its that much work to lift, then close. Except for that damn air pocket that makes it hard to shut sometimes. Air pressures/water > our hatches.
    Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

I know of people who do this to their trunks, but all the way up and all the way down. They just put actuators onto the hinges somehow.

I've thought about doing this to my hatch, but I figured it was pretty heavy and big. They used to do it driving down the road or at stoplights.

As for what you're talking about, I know my grandpa's Cadillac Fleetwood used to do it. I suppose it would be pretty cool to have. Go for it.
      1998 Firebird<br />V6 M5<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239301/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239301/1</a>

Comment

fbody, i was just thinking of doing it cuz it's kinda cool.
        Im not saying its hard to open or close my hatch but it just is another custom thing to do you know?..
        J. Henley, i knew alot of cadillacs have it, pretty cool!, i cant imagine an acuator strong enough to open that huge hatch all the way open without going completley custom.

I dont know if itll work or not but i may give it a try just for the hell of it.
        *Matt

Comment

Yeah, definatly know what your saying. If you got $20 to waste go for it.
          Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Henley 17:
            I know of people who do this to their trunks, but all the way up and all the way down. They just put actuators onto the hinges somehow.

I've thought about doing this to my hatch, but I figured it was pretty heavy and big. They used to do it driving down the road or at stoplights.

As for what you're talking about, I know my grandpa's Cadillac Fleetwood used to do it. I suppose it would be pretty cool to have. Go for it.
            yea here in the south they call it pop trunk. Im going to get that done to my camaro pretty soon but its more work since i have a hatch. I need special rails for the actuators to slide on. That way i can pop the hatch at stop lights and show off ths system :D

Comment

That would be cool, that is a big problem though that our hatch is so heavy you'd need a beefy actuator to do the job...

Does anyone know where u can buy actuators? like, a good selection of them?

Camarowidbass do u have any pics of ur sound system? Id love to check it out.
              *Matt

Comment

sounds interesting Matthew, good luck if you end up doing it. Hopefully it wont be a pain in the a**. I'm also thinking about doing something custom to my car.. well kinda. I wanna do one of these H.U.D.'s (heads up display), the new corvettes have. I think it was Fbody3400 or someone else talking about it one night on the CHAT. Here's a picture for those of you that dont know what i am talking about, here it is.. ( Corvette H.U.D ) Got the idea from my dad because he has one of these in his Nissan Maxima w/ digital gauges and i fell i love. Anyways, sorry for jacking your thrend Matt.

P.S. if for some reason you wont be needing you hatch struts (doubt it), i'll be interested.

[ February 22, 2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: gugdathug3 ]

'95 3.8L A4 PGM. & '95 LT1 M6 PGM. :burn:

Comment

Youll be sorry, cuz nextime im going to take my strut off my hatch and beat u with it... and record the beating so everyone on camarov6 can see you squeal like a pig!

haha j/k gilby.
                  Good luck with the HUD.
                  *Matt

Comment

It might be easier for an actuator to lift it if you reversed the hinges. I don't know how much work that would be, though, and I doubt it would be much harder to stow the tops, but it probably would be harder to lock them in.
                    1998 Firebird<br />V6 M5<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239301/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239301/1</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                      New Site Hosting Issues
                      by FirebirdGT
                      All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                      1 week ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      4 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X