Bent Rim.... fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Rim.... fixable?

Ok, so I get these awesome 17" wheels for my Cavalier. Bad thing is, my shocks/struts are shot all the way around. So we get new shocks/springs for the rear and put them in last weekend. Not too bad, took like 3 hours altogether. Monday, I head back to the auto parts store to get some struts/springs for the front and BA BOOOOOM!!!! I hit the biggest friggin pothole in town. I thought my car was going to fall apart. I got home after making my purchase and to my dismay and sheer aggrivation....Ok, I was realllly pissed off: Bent Outer Lip on the driver's side wheel. I hammered the hell out of it with a piece of wood and a hammer for almost 2 hours but it's still sticking out and is most noticeable when it is on top or to the side when the car is parked. I said the hell with it and ordered another wheel... is there any way to fix it correctly on my own? any suggestions?
    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

You can bang them to hell, but you take a chance on blowing the tire out easily if you're driving and hit another pothole sometime in the near future. If you ordered another one, I'd keep the bent one as a spare only. I don't know of any places that repair bent rims. I'm sure they are out there, I just don't know of any.
    sigpic

Comment

Think about the amount of force it took to bend that rim. Then think about the amount of force you're applying with a peice of wood, and a hammer.

Good luck?
      -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

That's why I'm thinking a 5lb. mallet or something much heavier than a hammer will do the trick.. you'd be surprised though, it looks much better than it did. I guess I'll work on it more after the new rim comes in and I get the tire removed off of the bent one and remounted on the new one.
        2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

i dont know much on the subject, but you might check out these places.

http://home.mindspring.com/~wheelben...elbender01.htm

http://www.metrowheels.net/wheelrepairprocess.htm

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

there are two ways to do it.(i used to work in a tire store) one you can do what you were doing. and two you can secrure the wheel and get a cresent wrench on the lip of the rim and start leveraging. ive seen both work. and th ey sometimes fail. just depends on what the size/damage is. good luck
            The confusion surrounds me <br />change is imminent<br />if I were they<br />we could be great

Comment

OK, thanks for the help, guys!
              2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                2 days ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X