guys need your opinion on this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guys need your opinion on this...

I took my car to the local super wal-mart for an oil change at around 11:00 am today. Around 12:45 I went back to pick it up, and I noticed the driver side rear view mirrow is messed up. The mirror itself is tilted out away from the car. I can press the mirror back to angle it toward the driver, but as soon as I release the mirror, it goes back out.

What can I do to fix this? I talked to the wal-mart people, they said it was the heat that caused the adhesive holding the mirror to the assembly to break down. I then went to a local shop and they said $160 for a new assembly, painted and installed, and $125 for a used one painted and installed.

This is the second time i've had this problem. The first time was a couple of days after I bought the car in 2000 from a used car lot. The dealership took care of it by getting the entire assembly replaced.

What's your take? has anybody here suffered similar problems? Any home-grown remedies?

I appreciate any help and inputs!

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: lostatlantis ]</p>
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

so are you saying the bond between the mirror and the window is coming off?
    White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

Oh ok, I get it. Its your side mirror that is the problem. Just get more adhesive/epoxy and away you go. Why in the hell would you replace it? JB Weld will hold it there for life.
      White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

JB Wled is pretty much holding my father-in-law's truck together.

If that does not work, go to Ebay. You can usually find a matching mirror....or try junkyarddog.com or needapart.com

There are a ton of used part locators on the internet...just let your fingers do the walking.
        Joel<br />God is my copilot, but Satan has his foot on the gas!<br />94 3.4L AutoCamaroRagtop w/MSD ignition,Accelcoilpacks,K&N FIPK,BMR SFC&STB,3\"Catco w/3\"catbackSS muffler,JetStage 2,HomemadePIAAheadlightconversion <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968</a>

Comment

hey guys, sorry if my original post was a little confusing [img]smile.gif[/img]

I took apart the entire driver-side rear view mirror assembly, and apparently one of the three wires holding the mirror has broken off. I am thinking the guy at wal-mart that changed my oil today did this, probably unintentionally. I went to the store but their car repair manager was already gone. :( Lately my luck is just not that good...
          \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

same thing happened on mine, took a little steady holding for a few minutes while the exopy dryed, but it holds strong now. My cable broke the plastic around it where its hold onto the glass backing plate. Get some 30 sec epoxy and go nuts, hold it for about two minutes, then let it sit overnight, reinstall and ur all set.
            Check out my car @ <a href=\"http://www.grodzmotorsports.com:8080/camaro2.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.grodzmotorsports.com:8080/camaro2.html</a> <br /><br />It\'s not what you make, it\'s what you spend! <br /><br />1994 Chevy Camaro 3.4, m5, t-tops, silver exterior, gray interior.<br /><br />Many modz! check out the site for details!

Comment

gerard, that's exactly what happened to my bird! What caused yours to break? I left my car for an oil change and afterwards the mirror was that way... I went to wal-mart today but the manager is off duty but will be back tomorrow.

any chance for replacement parts for this? It seems like a rather simple problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X