Chopped automatic shifter - Manual shifter installed - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chopped automatic shifter - Manual shifter installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopped automatic shifter - Manual shifter installed

I knew some guys were curious about this so here are a few pictures and a little guide.

Tools - dremel saw and some booze(keep it outside the car, metal dust will get find its way inside your glass, trust me)

parts - automatic shift adapter which can be found here - http://www.cau-llc.com/ and any manual shifter

First things first we have to take off our junky *** lookin stock auto shift knob. To do this you'll have to pull a pin out. Put your cars parking brake on and put the car in 1st. The pin is located on the bottom part of the knob, look carefully. Get a flathead screwdriver and pry out the pin, then give that ***** a tug and she'll come right off.

You'll notice the shifter shaft is made of steel and holds a piece of plastic that moves up and down that allows you to shift. We are going to cut both the steel and plastic down using our dremel saw to compensate for the height that the adapter adds. Decide how much you'd like to cut off and start off by ONLY cutting the steel part(be careful not to cut the plastic!!!).

I personally suggest you start off at an inch and decide if you'd like it any lower after you've cut that much off. There is a point at which you will be unable to cut any further because the width of the plastic will change, please do not try to go beyond this point, doing so may screw up the shifter. Once you have finished cutting off the outter steel shell, you're going to chop that EXACT amount off of the plastic.

You've succesfully shortened your shifter but you need to make 2 more cuts before you're done. When you first started cutting the steel shaft had 2 slits on either side. These slits will now need to be extended. CAREFULY extend the slits to a measurement of 1 inch. These slits help guide the shift adapter and are necessary.

That's it! Attatch any aftermarket shifter to your adapter and put it over the shortened shaft. You now press down on your shifter, NO BUTTON! Now go get yourself a nice custom shift boot to cover up that ugly *** adapter and you're set.

Pics of the finished product

Good luck!

Re: Chopped automatic shifter - Manual shifter installed

good custom stuff, is that as low as it will go though? if so, you might try a shift boot.

i had to do something similar to adapt my vette knob.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Re: Chopped automatic shifter - Manual shifter installed

looks good man thats gonna help me out when I get mine if I decide too install it myself

I still gotta remove my airbags because I just bought this black and chrome lightweight steering wheel its looks good can't wait till I get this done

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
        Good to see the site is back up
        by 2.8 Bird
        So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
        5 hours ago
      • FirebirdGT
        New Site Hosting Issues
        by FirebirdGT
        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
        1 week ago
      • LETZRIDE
        New Owner!
        by LETZRIDE
        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X