Question about Painting Interior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Painting Interior?

I am wanting to paint the speakers drills in my car and i am wanting to know a good way to remove the armor all off the speaker grills so the sprap paint will stick and not run....Any suggestions? Also i am wanting to spruce up my engine bay and i have a carbon fiber battery cover and whisper airlid so what all do you think i should do? I want to cover up the wires and im about to purchase some MSD ignition wires so should i upgrade the spark plugs too when i do this?

Re: Question about Painting Interior?

to clean the speaker grills id just sand them down a little, then rise it off, dry it, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and then start painting.id do a quick search though, i think i remember people having bad experiences with the speaker grills. paint cracking and things like that. as far as spark plugs go i'd do it if you have time. alot of time, they're a major pain to do. it'll take a while.
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

1) Get a scotchbrite pad or an abrasive pad adn scruff them up till they are dull.

2)wipe them down with alcohol as said above, then wipe them down with a clean rag/towel to help dry it quicker and remove most residue

3)Depends if your paint is DESIGNED to ADHERE to plastic. So spray them with a universal plastics adhesion remover alow it to dry and set up for ~20 minutes

4)Spray your paint

5) [optional] Spray your clear

It is best to have half overlap on everything you paint and spray your paint past the part. I did the speaker covers in my 93 with teh basecoat/clear coat I custom did my car with and followed these steps that i got from working in the body shop and they got kicked and never cracked or peeled
      1998 Camaro Z28 M6 lets just say it breathes easy <br />*RedLineVSix*<br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.redlinevsix.com</a><br />1993 Camaro A4 16.67 1/4 SOLD

Comment

i painted the grills that are on the outside of my firebird and havent had a problem with them....They are plastic!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by cmblack13; 04-27-2006, 09:04 PM.

Comment

finished the Interior Paint! Will put up one pic and will get others tomorrow!
          Attached Files

Comment

Did mine a while back, didn't sand or anything. Just washed them, then used some Krylon that was made specifically for plastic adhesion. Cleared them after that and they've been good since.
            Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

yeah i had to sand mine because of armor all...It wasnt that bad though! How did you do the front ones? did you have to take out the grills or just tape around it so you wouldnt spray the panel?

Comment

The front ones pop out just as same as the rest. You might have to slide a flathead screwdriver or something else in there to pry a bit, but just be careful and they should just pop right out.
                Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

I dont have those type on my car...I just have the single without the tweeter...YEah i have the ****ty door panel! I am wanting to upgrade mine to the ones you have but have not done it yet. If you try to pull of the ones on my door it rips the back part out to where you cant install them back on...I found that out when i replaced all of the door speakers! I didnt want to pull the whole panel off so i just tried pulling of the grill but that didnt work to well...lol! Anyways i may try it though and see what happens!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X