high temp paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high temp paint

i was painting my brand new caliper bracket, during the last clear coat it stuck to the paper, peeled and bubbled, i didnt really prep, so heres my question, will it matter if you use a non high temp primer under high temp paint and clearcoat? as long as its under high temp? i'm gonna be smart after i get sand paper tomorrow and suspend it while i spray instead of having it on newspaper

Re: high temp paint

If you use a standard primer (not high temp) and put any kind of paint over it, it will most likely bubble and push the other coats of paint up and away from the surface.

This is how I did mine:
    -Use brake cleaner on the calipers and scrub with a large brush and/or a toothbrush to remove grease, dirt, ...whatever
    -Sand them with 500 grit, then move to 1000 grit
    -Use brake cleaner again to get any sandpaper dust off
    -Spray about 3 light coats with high temp primer
    -Spray with about 3-5 light coats of high temp paint
    -Sand the high temp paint with 1000 or 1500 grit to smooth out
    -Use about 3 light coats of high temp clearcoat

Allow about 1/2 an hour between coats for best results.
    sigpic

Comment

what hockey man said, expecially the LIGHT coats..... sometimes if u "put it on with a butter knife" aka put on way to much at one time, u can get the bubbling effect.....
      but the brake cleaner could have really helped....... what i would recomend is getting the decals for the brakes off eBay first, paint it a base color, put the decal on, then clear over the decal, i did it on my last camaro, ordered soem for this one..... heres a couple pix

Comment

btw, thats not bubbling what u see, thats how the calipers were molded, i didnt sand them to smooth....... hope this helps u

Comment

i already have decals from brent franker, and i really want to take my calipers off to paint them, but that scares me and i dont want to get air in my system, any reccomendations?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X