cut the t-top and make a targa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut the t-top and make a targa

is it possible to make a complete targa top like cut the t-bar out and just have one piece of glass that would look pretty amazing ...anything??

Re: cut the t-top and make a targa

thatd be cool ..i do believe its been done before to ..i THINK** the whistler mod guy has it done..maybe might have been somebody else.. pssh ask someone who knows im prolyl way off ...
    <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

i can be done. but it will make the car very very unstable. your goign to need some massive sub frame connectors and i'm sure alot more cr@p to make your car just safe.
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
        i can be done. but it will make the car very very unstable. your goign to need some massive sub frame connectors and i'm sure alot more cr@p to make your car just safe.
        yeah thats why having supras weigh sooo much... and camaros are heavy to begin with ... thatd be ur choice though... i dunno ifthatd be a good idea or not..look wise itd be awsome but if u take it to the track i wouldnt do it..
        <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

Its been done before.
          There was a guy on Camaroz28.com with carbon fiber targa.
          1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

I never thought about that until now, I plan on putting a cage in mine as it is, maybe I'll look further into that.
            1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

i really don't think that its a good idea cause it's not something that you can fix like the t tops

if you do t tops your self. and you don't want it you can buy the body of the roof panel and put it back. but this your s.o.l
              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

its doable . it will make your car flexable i drive a convertible with the factory sub-frames and when my top is down my ride kindof sucks its a cruzer when i latch my top its a lot stiffer. but targa tops even when you snap it in it will not help stiffen the ride unlett its gut a heavy steel frame in the removible top piece . it will be like being in a convert with the top down all the time. i can feel it flex under heavy braking and cornering. its night and day form the 98 coupe i had got t-bones and got a convertible.

Comment

Originally posted by camaroz87
                  is it possible to make a complete targa top like cut the t-bar out and just have one piece of glass that would look pretty amazing ...anything??
                  Depending on how you latch the glass in and how you connect the sub-frames it could shatter under body flex my budy shattered his supras but it was insane fast! but a sloped driveway can cause damage to glass roofings

Comment

If i had a hard top ide be all over this
                    Attached Files

Comment

as long as you have SFC's your'll be fine. a few people have done it actually ( like 3 or 4 ) search ls1tech and your'll find lots of info.
                      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

yeah, some guy on ls1tech did it. his user name on fbody.com is like xXtransamXx or something, im not really sure. he is the same guy that made the whole interior carbon fiber, or fiberglass (he changed his plans a few times)
                        2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                        2006 S60- Sold
                        2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Whistler on camaroz28.com was the first to do this. but his car is show only.

I really doubt doing this is going to hurt chassis ridgidity THAT much, to call the car unsafe to drive. Even with a targa the chassis will be just as stiff as a vert since there's the whole rear piece on there still to compensate for the subframes factory verts have.

That said, every car on this board should have subframes imho reguardless of roof specs.

Comment

Im doing it definately idk when i can get time but it will get done it is a must !

Comment

I'll consider it I already have t-tops so... But if I can find a good place that will do it, I'll pay someone to do it, then if they mess up they buy me a new car :)

And that kind of work isn't something I am really willing to play with myself yet.
                              1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X