clear corner installation with rusted bolts + clips - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clear corner installation with rusted bolts + clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear corner installation with rusted bolts + clips

I have a 1994 Camaro and I'm trying to do the clear corner installation. My problem is that I can't get past the first step of the installation because my bolts and clips are all rusted. I can't believe GM would be so stupid as to put metal bolts and clips on plastic panels...that's a recipe for disaster over time. I've already broken one plastic bolt hole. Basically, when I put the ratchet on the bolt to turn it, due to corrosion the whole bolt and clip turn together and dig there way through the plastic panel. I put silicone lubricant to loosten it up but its hardly made any difference. On rusted bolts like this you need to use force to get them off, but you obviously can't use force on plastic panels. I've tried shoving a pair of vicegrips up into the top part of the screw but there's just not enough room to hold on to it. Anyone have any suggestions? Are these panels even necessary to begin with? I could get them all off, the only downside is that I wouldn't be able to be put them back on.
    Last edited by Mike88; 05-30-2006, 12:02 PM.

Re: clear corner installation with rusted bolts + clips

Dude, that is the same thing that happened to mine. I haven't had those plastic panels on in about a year. I just don't drive through many puddles when it rains, because of my CAI is right there in front of the DS wheel.

Rob
    \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

In Montreal... im surprised that you can still put ratchet on them ;)

Comment

Originally posted by iGoRa
        In Montreal... im surprised that you can still put ratchet on them ;)
        Yeah, I'm jealous of people living in provinces such as Alberta or BC where they don't use salt on the roads. I went to Alberta last year and I was so surprised to see all the older cars still looking good (except for the cracked windshields...lol)...pop their hoods and every last bolt is corrosion free.

Apparently my car had never been winter driven when I bought it...but unfortunately living in Montreal, even one exposure to the salt that they de-ice the streets with is enough to cause corrosion on anything it touches. I'm assuming that car had been taken out at least once in its entire life during the winter months.

Anyway...I managed to get both of those panels off. I broke most of the plastic where the bolts are along the edge of the panel on the passenger side of the car. Then once the panel was off I put vicegrips on the clip and was able to ratchet off the bolt...but I really had to force. I was still able to get the panels back on tightly after I did the installation, despite the broken plastic.

Comment

My CAI is right there as well. i have had that side off for years for more cold air with no problems. i cant speak for the other side however.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X