Few questions on T-Top Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions on T-Top Conversion

I just got all of my stuff for my T-Top conversion. Yes, I did search this forum up and down for some answers to these questions.

There are only a few guides still up on the net for this, the most popular being
    http://members.fortunecity.com/gripe...nversion.html#

My question, alot of people say things about using bondo and having to paint? What exactly are you painting? What has to be bondo'd? Also, someone said something about using a gasket under the weatherstripping, can anyone explain this?

Thanks!

Kevin

Re: Few questions on T-Top Conversion

that is the guide that i used. ok now what your goign to have to bondo is the front 2 corners. they kinda look like this.

your going to want to bondo #2 so it's flush. i'm sure i have better pics i just have to look. #1 is where the bracket goes in. #3 that is the windsheild. your going to want to seal that up too, water can drain good. i put rtv in there, and smoothed it out with my finger.

there is also holes a little smaller than a dime that need to be filled in.

#1 is where the roof gets cut. the bottom line of #4 is where the body is. and you going to want seal that up so water doesn't get down in there. cause then it will drip down to places that don't have drine ports. #2 is like #2 above. you goign to want to make that flush.

this is the finished back for me. see how it looks like the top is connected to the body. that is all bondo.

see how it's the same color as the car ever where the t tops should be. that was just a primmer color. so i wet sanded that down. primered it, painted it. and clear coated it. with spray paint from autozone.

sorry the pics arn't better.

i don't spell check!
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Oh, Ok. I see it now. So it's not necassary to do it for the installation of the T-Tops? It's just a cosmetic thing? My car is white so after I do it I just make a bondo'd wall, then primer and paint it? You used spray paint?

That looks good and thanks for the help!

Comment

yep spary paint from autozone.
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Did you just get replacement parts for a t-top for your conversion, or is there some sort of kit out there? I have a 96 v6, but am thinking about selling it for a z28... (I'm in love with the 6-speed) and I want the t-tops, but if it's something I can do myself later than it won't matter when I'm out car-hunting. Let me know where you got everything for the conversion... thanks, and Kristen... your car looks bad-***
          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I got everything but the T-Tops from the junkyard. Cost me $30 total! It was a local U-Pull it in Aurora, IL.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Gelso
              I got everything but the T-Tops from the junkyard. Cost me $30 total! It was a local U-Pull it in Aurora, IL.
              :banana: it was free for me :banana: haha the guy even threw in my hatch latch and botton...oh and my niffty dash pad :D
              <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

some other guy put the kit together and i think that he punked out of cutting the roff off. so i got everything in one shot.
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

So what is the general price that this cost? How much time? And how hard is it actually?

Comment

it's not that hard but there is no room from error. i took my time. the cutting was done in 1 day. i took about 4 days to do the bondo to make it perfect. and then 2 days for painting.

i need my stuff to be perfect so i can take less time.

oh and to get perfect stuff to do the t tops is about 200 bucks. i spent an extra 110, to get a t top headliner, visors, and a rear dome light
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
                      it's not that hard but there is no room from error. i took my time. the cutting was done in 1 day. i took about 4 days to do the bondo to make it perfect. and then 2 days for painting.

i need my stuff to be perfect so i can take less time.

oh and to get perfect stuff to do the t tops is about 200 bucks. i spent an extra 110, to get a t top headliner, visors, and a rear dome light
                      Say, does anyone know off the top of their heads if t-tops weigh more than the regular hard top? I'm pretty sure rag tops are heavier than hard tops, difficult tho it is to believe, so I was wondering if it applied to T-tops as well.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                        New Site Hosting Issues
                        by FirebirdGT
                        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                        1 week ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        4 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X