paint prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint prep

i need to finish prepping a hood, the bottom side of it is black. would i be able to use a pressure washer to get the paint off, then scuff it up and primer it, or should i just scuff it up with the black paint still on it? what should i use to scuff it up?
    2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
    2006 S60- Sold
    2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Re: paint prep

if you can get your hands on a random orbit sander, that would work perfectly, is there still clear coat on the hood, b/c you'll want to make sure to get every bit of that off, b/c it will definitely peel even if it's scuffed. There are also paint strippers out there that will allow you to basically wipe the paint off with a rag. I don't reccomend using a power washer, any debris caught under the spray can gouge fiberglass. 220 grit sandpaper is the best to get clear off, then scuff with 400 then prime, and don't forget to sand the primer.
    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Re: paint prep

ive been using one of those, i think. its electric. the paint on it is gloss black. isnt 220 grit way too fine? i was using 100, it says thats the best to get ready for primer.
      2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
      2006 S60- Sold
      2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
        New Site Hosting Issues
        by FirebirdGT
        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
        1 week ago
      • LETZRIDE
        New Owner!
        by LETZRIDE
        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
        3 weeks ago
      • LETZRIDE
        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
        02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X