Blacking out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacking out

I'm thinking of blacking out my headlights, tailights, turn signals, and maybe even the running lights in the back. I know to use VHT Nightshades paint, but I've still got a few questions:

1- How clear are the GTS covers? I don't know if I should get clear and then paint them black, or if the black ones will be fine for driving with my headlights on (will be driving at night 3+ days of the week). I don't feel like having to take them off everytime I go somewhere. I'm thinking of getting a set for my headlights and tailights, but not if they're not clear enough for the light to show through.

2- The turnsignals, who here has them blacked out? I'm watching a set on eBay that's ending in a couple of hours and want them, but not sure if I'll like them.

3- What about blacking other body parts? I've seen some cars with the roof black and the rest of it red, the mirror painted black, and even the stock spoiler black. I was thinking of trying out that duplicolor temp paint to see if I like any of these combos, but has anyone used it before?

I've got a 97 Red Camaro, just to let you guys know (My CarDomain)
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Blacking out

id black out everything but the headlights... dunno how good ud be able to see with them blacked out... yeah id say paint the roof part black (if uhave ttops) if not leave it and i dunno about the mirror but yeah.. id black out most stuff Edit:i have my tails done and im gunna be doing my turns,corners,and everything soo to..
    <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

Originally posted by Oi Bird V6
      id black out everything but the headlights... dunno how good ud be able to see with them blacked out... yeah id say paint the roof part black (if uhave ttops) if not leave it and i dunno about the mirror but yeah.. id black out most stuff Edit:i have my tails done and im gunna be doing my turns,corners,and everything soo to..
      OK. I don't have T-Tops, but I've seen it black w-out t-tops and it didn't look bad. How did you do your tails, did you buy covers or do the whistler mod? I'm thinking about doing the whistler mod, but not entirely sure yet.

Any other oppinions/suggestions/info?
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Comment

he nightshaded his tail lights, and he has a firebird so he cant do the whistler mod. id just get cover's for the tail lights, i nightshaded mine too but the light doesnt shine through good at all. sure, i can wet sand some of it off but then why wont be as dark. as for the head lights, just do the whistler mod, all head light black out's arent going to let the light shine through that good. the whistler mod is easy, just becareful taking it apart. make sure the glueis heated up real good or your'll crack the headlight.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by loser
          he nightshaded his tail lights, and he has a firebird so he cant do the whistler mod. id just get cover's for the tail lights, i nightshaded mine too but the light doesnt shine through good at all. sure, i can wet sand some of it off but then why wont be as dark. as for the head lights, just do the whistler mod, all head light black out's arent going to let the light shine through that good. the whistler mod is easy, just becareful taking it apart. make sure the glueis heated up real good or your'll crack the headlight.
          I've got a 97, so its the older headlights. you can't do the whistler mod to them....Do your light shine through better than they would with regular black covers? I'm trying to find out if I should just niteshade them, buy clear covers and nightshade them, or just get the black covers. I heard the niteshades paint doesn't do much as far as blocking light, which is why I wanted to buy clears and then nightshade them, but you said yours does......Could I get some pics of nightshaded tailights with the lights on and off?
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Comment

id just leave ur lights be they really dont show that much u know there like sunk in or whatever u wanan say.. i dunno ... but any blackout cover u get will drop the visibility at night so i dunno they have covers that come on and off u can get and just take them off at night?
            <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

OK. Still, any pics of blacked out taillights with the lights on and off? Preferably ones with the GTS covers. I'm about to buy the blacked out turn signals on eBay, and then I may get some covers for the rear if I like them. When do the side marker lights come on, and how "necessary" are they? Would I get in trouble for blacking them out?
              Last edited by RadRacer; 06-26-2006, 01:30 PM.
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
                OK. Still, any pics of blacked out taillights with the lights on and off? Preferably ones with the GTS covers. I'm about to buy the blacked out turn signals on eBay, and then I may get some covers for the rear if I like them. When do the side marker lights come on, and how "necessary" are they? Would I get in trouble for blacking them out?

there was pics a while ago with the lights on and off with both nightsahdes and gts covers. honestly, get the cover's, easyer to do,and the light shines though better. the rear side markers i wouldnt worry about, i highly doubt you will get in trouble for them, the tail lights are a different story, depends on where you live.
                1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Here ya go...GTS covers and niteshaded 3rd light with taillights on and off.

Off:

On:
                  1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

DONT Nite shade the headlights , Nite shade your stock corner dont buy clears and ruin them?

What color is your car?
                    Asfar as black do the Side mirrors, Berger panel "below", and top/Exterior B-pillars, and maby just maby the door handles some colors its to much

If you want more black try striped

Dont use temp paint? just find a couple pictures and think

Comment

Originally posted by 01PewterDropTop
                      DONT Nite shade the headlights , Nite shade your stock corner dont buy clears and ruin them?

What color is your car?
                      Asfar as black do the Side mirrors, Berger panel "below", and top/Exterior B-pillars, and maby just maby the door handles some colors its to much

If you want more black try striped

Dont use temp paint? just find a couple pictures and think

My car's red. I wasn't going to buy clear corners and nightshade them, I was going to buy black one from eBay. But, I might try it with some stocks if I can get an extra set. As for the berger panel, I already looked into that (right after starting this topic) and think I'm going to do it. I was thinking of painting the mirrors, Pillars and top like you said, but it may have to wait abit (have to pay for summer classes, $700). And the temp paint was just in case it looked bad all painted. If it looks good, I'll take off the temp paint and paint it for real.

98 3.8, thanks for the pics. I'm thinking of getting GTS covers and nightshading the third light like you did. It doesn't block the light out much, so I don't think I'll get in trouble for it.

Anyone know how to get rid of the amber on your stock corners? I was thinking of just soaking it in alcohol for abit to let it dissolve the paint, but wasn't sure how you guys do it.
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Comment

Buy some taillight tints at ebay like I did they sell them special just for our car and they come in 38 percent so you can be able to brake without having a problem and they are only 22 dollars and 29 with shipping

Comment

i think the coners are amber plastic, i dont think you can get rid of the amber color. thats why the stock turn signal bulbs are white, becuase they shine through a amber lense.where as clear coners use amber bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by eric v6
                            Buy some taillight tints at ebay like I did they sell them special just for our car and they come in 38 percent so you can be able to brake without having a problem and they are only 22 dollars and 29 with shipping
                            I've searched eBay and haven't found anything but the GTS covers. Bought to search again, but could I get a link?
                            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                            A few things

Comment

here is a link to the sellers store http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ04machQ2d1 mabye you can contact him and tell him to put up some more but this is where I got mine but be sure to ask for 38 percent tint and who knows if you want you probaly can go to one of these tint places around and they might do it for you but it probaly will be more thats why I decided to do this also there is a camaro decal that you can put over your third brake light and when you hit your brakes camaro will show I have this too its only 8 dollars let me know if you want the link. I also have a whole can of vht nightshades that Im not gonna use so let me know if you want it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X