Question about general appearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about general appearances

I'm tired of suspecting so I'm just gonna freaking ask.

People around here seem to do almost everything themself. But are you guys painting your own cars? I mean, Jeez, that's not easy, and CERTAINLY not very forgiving. I'd love to put a different spoiler and a different hood on, but getting someone to paint them is freaking expensive!

So unless you guys are all pretty damn wealthy, I can't understand how you just casually can buy a new spoiler and/or new hood and/or ground effects, UNLESS you're painting them yourself.

So what is it?

Re: Question about general appearances

Some might be painting them selves but most are probably not. Where i am i can get a hood repaired from hail damage for 200. He does a gret job. He mathced my mystic Teal perfectly. He had to rework my whole left quater panel fuel door amd did a great job for only 660. He told me a new hood would be like 120-150. Man if u want somthing painted get someone to do it but ask around a bunch to people who have had work done by him. Stop by and talk to him about his business.
    98 Mystic Teal Camaro
    Mods: FRA, K&N, Clears corners, runing lights, billet grille, All blue interior leds, All four highbeam mod, Halos

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic98
      Some might be painting them selves but most are probably not. Where i am i can get a hood repaired from hail damage for 200. He does a gret job. He mathced my mystic Teal perfectly. He had to rework my whole left quater panel fuel door amd did a great job for only 660. He told me a new hood would be like 120-150. Man if u want somthing painted get someone to do it but ask around a bunch to people who have had work done by him. Stop by and talk to him about his business.
      You see, just to get my rear bumper repainted is a whopping $700. Then the front bumper is $900!

You see, the previous owner put a really crappy paint job on the poor thing, because I think she was in a front end collision. Overspray all over the rims, headlights, mirrors, even the freaking muffler! :(

I'd get the entire car repainted and un-oversprayed, but it'd cost 4 grand.

Comment

I think most of "knows someone that knows someone who will do it cheaper"

But to answer your question, the majority of us do not paint our own cars unless they own their own shop or are good at what they do. We care about our appearance to much to half-*** it.
        1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

Painting the car is the only thing I do not do myself. I am by no means wealthy, I have just had my car 3 yrs and am good with my money.
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

all my money goes to my kids!!! lol haha :)
            \"there are things known, and things unknown, and inbetween are the doors\"-jim morrison<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/99NBMCamaro\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/99NBMCamaro</a>

Comment

of course im not wealthy... im 18. but my car is where all of my money goes. forget about having a girlfriend, forget about videogames and ****, if you want a car that stands out, thats where the money disappears to.
              those prices for bumpers are absurd, the rear shouldnt be any more than 3 or 4 hundred. maaco told my buddy 200 i think...
              i just got a new hood, and went on to different fbody sites and found a reliable painter who is going to give me a good deal (150+cost of paint). its all about knowing people, and using our fbody brotherhood to the max! you can really get to know a lot of useful people just through these sites!
              2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
              2006 S60- Sold
              2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

I bought all of my painting materials over 1 1/2 years, and I'm going to school to learn how to mix and match paints. I am not rich, but I make enough money to be happy and I can afford to buy items like this. You don't need to be rich in order to paint a car or have all of the necessary equipment. Just buy things over time and have the ambition, and you're set!

Is it hard?...yes, but all of your hard work will show in the final product. If it was easy, then everyone would be able to do it.
                sigpic

Comment

i haven even tried to learn to paint yet. i do everything myself. i wouldn't pay someone to do something that i can do myself. that is just pointless. i don't think that anyone just buys a spoiler and or hood and just paints it the next day with out thinking about it for a while and saving also. i'm very smart with my money and i save alot so i am able to do what ever i want to with it.
                  WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by stevethepirate
                    maaco told my buddy 200 i think...
                    maaco stinks. that's why they are cheap. Did I mention they stink?

It is more than just buying tools to paint. Having the right shop (read: paintbooth) and a crapload of know how are very important too.

I have a friend in the business, and I always deal with him.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

i painted my own car . it aint the worlds most perfect finish but it looks good .
                      if i figure out how to post pics i will. I just didnt want to spend the money aor trust anyone around here . plus i had the shop space .

Comment

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2068411
                        my before and afters

Comment

Originally posted by CHEVYINSIDE
                          Wow dude. That front end conversion is impressive. I was also wondering, crazy tho this sounds, if with the correct parts, one could convert a camaro into a firebird, or vice versa, since they use the same chassis. That'd be a CRAZY project.

Comment

I would defenetly not paint it myself if you dont have any experience with painting. the only thing i paint myself is parts (brake calipers,intake manifold). little things that you could always strip back down and make them look better. Also if you take a normal car (not screwed around paint job) to like maaco's theyll charge ya like 400-600 $ to paint it. If you attempt to paint it and screw it up your looking at thousands !

Comment

Originally posted by CHEVYINSIDE
                              i painted my own car . it aint the worlds most perfect finish but it looks good .
                              if i figure out how to post pics i will. I just didnt want to spend the money aor trust anyone around here . plus i had the shop space .

Good Job i couldnt have done it that good :tup:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X