Repainting wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting wheels

Has anyone here ever gotten their stock wheels repainted. The aluminum coat is starting to come off on mine since they are 10 years old now. I would really like to get this done, but it might just be cheaper to get new ones. Anyways, if anyone here has had this done, could you post about how much it cost you for everything (sandblasting, repainting, clearcoat, etc).

Re: Repainting wheels

If you do it yourself theres no way it'll cost you more than a G

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
    i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
    R.I.P. '07 Pats
    Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

make sure that if you do it yourself, you go get them rebalanced first, and ask them to put the weights on the inside of the rim. And make sure they don't static balance them, because that is when they only put weights on one side of the wheel. Most machines call it ALLOY-2 balancing, which is what you want, it's a crimped weight on the inside, and then a sticky weight toward the outter edge of the inside of the rim. I think I've seen kits before to paint rims.

What color were you thinking... just curious
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I want them to be the same color as they already are. Most of the clearcoat of mine has worn away and the aluminum paint is starting to wear off as well so it leaves these nasty brown spots.

Comment

Originally posted by RawrImAMonster
          I want them to be the same color as they already are. Most of the clearcoat of mine has worn away and the aluminum paint is starting to wear off as well so it leaves these nasty brown spots.

it sucks... im getting that also

Comment

sand them down, paint them, clear coat them and your done. spray paint works fine if done right. ask a body shop how much they'd charge, id guess around $300 or so, but thats a rough guess. $300 is really high so id figure it'd be lower. powder coating is also another option, but will be more expensive than paint probally.
            1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Why don't you look into having them Flame Sprayed?

Check out http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/.../ksrdh001.html

We get the fuel panels for our aircraft refurbished using this process and the results are really impressive. I will be having this done to my rims when the time comes.
              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB
                Why don't you look into having them Flame Sprayed?

Check out http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/.../ksrdh001.html

We get the fuel panels for our aircraft refurbished using this process and the results are really impressive. I will be having this done to my rims when the time comes.
                Any pics of what this looks like?
                1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

what if you went down to the store, and bought some of that Chrome spraypaint, painted the rims, with a few coats, sanded them down, and cleared them... do you think it would look just as good as the chrome ones?

Comment

Originally posted by victimizati0n
                    what if you went down to the store, and bought some of that Chrome spraypaint, painted the rims, with a few coats, sanded them down, and cleared them... do you think it would look just as good as the chrome ones?

nope, just looks silver. i got bored a while ago and tryed doing it to my old pedal bike. just looked silver-ish, maybe a tad bit shinyer than normal glossy silver but not much. i wasnt surprised,disapointed yes. chrome isnt something that will ever come out of a can.
                    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by loser
                      nope, just looks silver. i got bored a while ago and tryed doing it to my old pedal bike. just looked silver-ish, maybe a tad bit shinyer than normal glossy silver but not much. i wasnt surprised,disapointed yes. chrome isnt something that will ever come out of a can.
                      Unless its molten... but then the can would be reeeeally reeeally hot... so thats probably not a good idea.

Anyway, i wouldn't waste your time. Just save up some money and buy new rims.

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
                      i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                      R.I.P. '07 Pats
                      Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Regarding Flame Spraying:

Any pics of what this looks like?
                        I don't have an pics at the moment. I'll try to drum something up for you to see. To explain it, the finish is the same as found on the original silver factory 5 spoke rims that are presently on my 99 FB. Aparently the finishes that can be obtained are now pretty good, but I would not expect it to be a mirror finish like chrome.
                        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                          New Site Hosting Issues
                          by FirebirdGT
                          All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                          1 week ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X