warning on static tints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warning on static tints

I posted a question about static tints a while back and got almost no response. I recently tinted my windows myself with static tints which cost $20 bucks at walmart. I just wanted to warn anyone considering doing this...its basically a waste of your time. I put them on, trimmed them and made them perfect, assuring there were no bubbles...that was untill i put the window up and down a couple of times. Because static tints are a lot thicker than normal tints they seem to stretch on the glass when you're working the window up or down. It basically leads to bubbles all around the edges...and it forces your power-window motors a lot more because the tint is thicker and grips on the weather stripping as the window travels up and down. Not to mention that they're not nearly as clear as normal tints...you get a sort of wave in the tint that doesn't look that nice from inside the car looking out. From the outside, from far they don't look bad, but when you're beside the car the bubbles all around the edge of the glass are clearly visible. Maybe others have had better experience with static tints, but my advise is to go with more conventional tints.

Re: warning on static tints

Well thank you for posting your experiance with static tint..... at least it was only 20 bucks, right?

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

static tint is garbage.
      2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
      1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V
      2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
      2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Shirl I could have used you opinion a month ago when I made my first post on static tints, asking if they were any good...lol. I'm not p/oed about money, just the waste of time. At least my old tints with scratches and tears are off. The car looks cleaner now.

Comment

Musta missed that post.. ;) Anyway, I've tried that stuff years ago and it never worked right. Just find a good shop and get it done right. :)
          2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
          1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
          2011 Cadillac CTS-V
          2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
          2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

If you get it professionally done, always make sure they are using a good brand or it will eventually turn purple. I recommend 3m material. It costed me $200 for the fronts, back, and sun strip.

Comment

i recently jus got 5% all the way around on my 'maro for a 150 bucks, 3m, sat there and watched him do it, took like 30 min or so, looks badass........200 is a rip off
              \"there are things known, and things unknown, and inbetween are the doors\"-jim morrison<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/99NBMCamaro\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/99NBMCamaro</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                1 week ago
              • LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                3 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X