Buffing glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing glass

Hey all the previous owner of my car must have had something stuck on his wipers or something at some time cause there are some pretty annoying scuff/scratches in my windsheild. I was wondering if there was a way to buff them out or fill them? I know they can fix rock chips in windsheilds now so i didnt know fi there was a way to fix this. The make light bend badly at night making it hard to see when that occasional big rig or inconsiderate @$$ passes without shutting off their Highs... Any ideas/suggestions? I dont even want to know what it would cost to replace....

Re: Buffing glass

JC Whitney sells a glass polishing kit. It's a paste with a buffing wheel, and it takes alot of time to get even a minor scratch out. Also, try taking it to a glass shop to see what they have to say.
    sigpic

Comment

use 3m marine compound. "the red kind" It will get scratches off, and water spots.

Comment

i wish someone lived closer that could see these scratches...

Comment

Just dont get a new windshield...they suck at making them for our cars. I cracked mine a couple weeks ago and I'm going back tomorrow to get a 3rd new one cuz the last 2 new ones were distorted.

Comment

Originally posted by mLaZz
            Just dont get a new windshield...they suck at making them for our cars. I cracked mine a couple weeks ago and I'm going back tomorrow to get a 3rd new one cuz the last 2 new ones were distorted.

Well unless theres a way to buff out the glass I might have to... grrrr...:mad:

Comment

i drove a z-28 with a distorted window made my head pound with a sever headack

Comment

Got a digicam? if they're wiper scratches then you might be able to get em out with compound....the local glass shop should definetly have a way to get em out...
                Y87 Package
                MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                BONE APPROVED!
                VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                Team Black...TEAM EMO
                sigpic
                Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Ya there wiper scratches/scuffs... they look kinda bad but sometimes things look worse then they are... i also have a few scuffs on both side glasses as well but no where near as bad... just makes it hard to drive at night causer the light reflects abd on the scratches/scuffs....

Comment

I was told today that u can use toothpaste? anyone else heard about this before?

Comment

I have, but if the scratches are deep enough to cause the kind of problems your describing, then I'm not too sure how well it will work. It might make it look better, but I think you'll still have the same problems at night. Try it and see, from what I've heard it's basically just putting the toothpaste on and using a microfiber cloth and rubbing it into the glass then wipe with a damp cloth or spray windex on a cloth and wipe off gently.

otherwise I agree with everyone else, take it to a glass shop and ask them if there's a way to fix it. Make sure you emphasize FIX your current windshield and don't let them talk you into you needing a new one. get several opinions before you go that route.
                      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Agreed, from what i gather they sux at replacing out windsheild and their usually distorted... definately want to avoid that route...

Comment

I just saw a commercial for a compound that repaires scratches in eyeglasses. I had it muted so I don't know the brand, but you could try a search online. Kind of far-fetched but it might do the trick.
                          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                            New Site Hosting Issues
                            by FirebirdGT
                            All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                            1 week ago
                          • LETZRIDE
                            New Owner!
                            by LETZRIDE
                            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • LETZRIDE
                            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                            02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X