how much heat can fiberglass take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much heat can fiberglass take

I searched around online but got such mixed info that I'm gonna see if anyone here knows...

I'm playing around with the idea of doing pipes out the side in front of the rear wheels. I have the vizage body kit which has openings in the side skirts. I would have to cut the opening a little, because it is at the wrong angle and is a little small. I doubt that the butyl rubber that the kit is made with would be able to withstand more heat than fiberglass, bit if I'm wrong let me know. So what I was planning on doing was cutting the opening about an inch larger than needed and then using fiberglass-reinforced body filler (the green stuff) to shape around the opening. I intend to leave about a 1/4" gap between the exhaust tip and the body kit, but I don't know if I'm a proficient enough welder to get the pipes that perfect, so the bondo would have to be able to withstand the heat if it touched a little, or every once and a while. Does this sound adequate?

also, what is the temperature of the exhaust tip, roughly, if I ran straight pipes from header to tip through a cutout to just before the rear wheels? Or would I have to just try it and measure the temp?
    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Re: how much heat can fiberglass take

Why don't you just get some header wrap and wrap it around the exhaust where it's going to be close to bondo or fiberglass?
    The smell will be horrible when the exhaust touches the fiberglass and bondo, and you'll have to keep repairing the dark spots. It doesn't really matter how hot the pipes get. They will get hot enough to leave residue or burn through both of your idea's.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: how much heat can fiberglass take

exactly what I needed to know, thanx
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
        New Site Hosting Issues
        by FirebirdGT
        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
        1 week ago
      • LETZRIDE
        New Owner!
        by LETZRIDE
        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
        3 weeks ago
      • LETZRIDE
        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
        02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X