stripping paint off plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripping paint off plastic

so a while back i painted some interior pieces blue. it looked cool at the time but now that got old and it didnt stand out much from my black interior. i tried priming the hell out of some pieces and painting silver over it but the paint is too... mushy. it scratches really easily and generally looks like dog sh!t. i already tried mineral spirits (they dont have an experation date do they? the stuff i used was about 10 years old) and that didnt work. is there anythign out there that will take the paint off without dissolving the plastic? thanks!
    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Re: stripping paint off plastic

Sandpaper and elbow grease.

Any type of Goof-Off, paint stripper, (etc) will eat right through and melt the plastic. There MAY be a stripper out there that can be applied to plastic, but I haven't heard of it or seen it yet.
    sigpic

Comment

Yea, you can try acetone, but apply it to a towel first, not directly to the part, and rub vigorously, and you can usually get the paint off and the acetone will evaporate before doing damage to the plastic. It's tricky though, and one little spot could ruin an entire piece. You could also try a heat-gun(if you have access to one) and start with very small amounts of heat, and try scraping it off.

your best bet is still going to be sandpaper
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Honestly if you can get new or used parts, do it and start over. Not sarcasm but its what Ive had to do in the past.
        visit my club\'s site at <a href=\"http://www.envuscc.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.envuscc.com</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
          New Site Hosting Issues
          by FirebirdGT
          All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
          1 week ago
        • LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          4 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X