Reasonable Price? You Tell Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable Price? You Tell Me

i have Ttops and the headliner was ****...i removed the headliner and bought some ultrasuede... i brought it to a place called Classic Upholstery in PLymouth Mass...the guy wants to charge me $175 JUST to put the material on the headliner...is that reasonable or am i crazy?

Re: Reasonable Price? You Tell Me

I think its insane, but i dunno what the industry prices are like. All I do know is I got quoted 875 to reupholster my seats (front and back) in leather with pewter suede inserts. It was from a Katzkin dealer in my area, using my estimate as a guage, its overpriced.

Comment

hmmm thank..im gunna try to talk the guy down to like 100 or something around there...bcuz it does look reallll difficult to get around all the coutours and make it look neat only using one piece...and the headliner board it like an eggshell bcuz its so delicate so idk...anymore advice let me know

btw "crispy" if i were u id do the interior over too

Comment

Not in a rush to do my interior over, its in pretty good shape too, I need to work on my front end first :(

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2354909

Comment

whats wrong with ur front end

Comment

I paid $200 on my third gen. That was like 6 years ago though.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2287597

:( SOLD! NO LONGER A CAMARO OWNER :(

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS
              whats wrong with ur front end
              [IMG][/IMG]

Bent bumper support, couple of missing parts on the headlight, cracked headlight assembly, wrinkled hood.

Comment

how did u do that...the bumper cover looks in tact lol

but im sry that sucks

Comment

$175? For labor only? I don't think so. Just do it yourself and save some money.
                  I put a new headliner fabric on my 3rd gen with t-tops about 5 years ago. Cost me under $25 & was very easy (guess because it was a t-top car). Right now im getting ready to re-upholster my headliner on my 95' I paid $20 for the fabric at a local shop & $10 for the spray on glue at Autozone.

A member on this board by the name of CO. Jones has a really good write up also:
                  My dad and I just did the headliner in their old Saturn when I went home for christmas. $25 for the material, ~$10 for spray adhesive. Hell, it took longer to take out the headliner than it did to peel off the liner and put in the new liner. Putting the headliner back in the car took no time.

Quick words of advice if you're looking at doing this. I highly recommend doing this with 2 people, but the headliner we did was considerably bigger than a T-top liner.
                  1) Be really careful when taking out the headliner. The backing board is a strong cardboard material. Any creases/cracks will show through.
                  2) Peeling off the old material. Go SLOW! There's the felt and then foam underneath. Make up your mind, either keep the foam or don't. If you keep it, then slowly peel off the felt. If you tear out any chunks of foam it again will show through (craters).
                  3) Spray adhesive. Use lots.
                  4) Technique. Do only 1/2 at a time (For below I'll talk about the front half and back half).
                  a) Test lay the new headliner material to make sure it's straight. DO NOT CUT IT YET
                  b) Carefully fold in half leaving the front half exposed. Lay down a sheet of wax paper at the halfway point (so that the fabric doesn't accidentally stick.
                  c) Spray the front half of the backer board with adhesive. Spray the folded piece of headliner with adhesive.
                  d) Place wax paper over the backer board so that only 8-10" is exposed.
                  e) Slowly roll and press the new headliner in place. Do only the first 8-10". Go slow, press every corner.
                  f) Lift up another section of wax paper and continue. Once the front is done, fold up the back half and repeat.
                  g) Once everything is dry (15min tops) trim the new material. If you want, leave 2" overlap in the front/back. Fold and duct tape to the backside (or use your remaining adhesive). This will prevent sagging at the corners.
                  Good luck with that! Im sure you will be happy with the results.....and take your time. :)

Nino
                  ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

Comment

ya i tried doing it myself and it was impossible..i am using Ultrasuede which doesnt stretch like stock headliner material...theres no way i could get it on that eggshell of a foam board...

but 175 bucks is still outrageous

Comment

i would do it myself. Just get some of the 3m spray adhesive and work your material from the inside out, and just take your time, it also helps if you have two people so one can stretch the material as you press it on to the surface, I had a cavalier and i re upholstered the interior in that, wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. Either way, good luck

Comment

UPDATE ON THE HEADLINER!!

so the guys tells me it will be ready wednesday...i call him around 9am wed. morning to make sure of it he says ya come on by.

sure enough i get down there around 1 oclock and the place is closed...im rip****

i call and leave like 5 messages each one getting angrier and angrier. guy calls me bacl thursday morning and says its still not done bcuz its so hard to work on and the fabric i bought isnt streching right. w/e.
                        i get down there and i literally have to help him finish it up. there is a little crease in the fabric he "just cant get out" so i take it and am reluctantly willing to pay and as im getting my wallet he goes "i cant charge for this it looks terrible and i wasted to of ur days" blah blah. long story short it was worth the wait, i got it for free :) and i smoothed out the wrinkle myself

im pumped

Comment

Someone still knows what customer service is?!

Post up some pics when you get it in.

Comment

just spraypaint it and throw some glitter on there, it will look schweet

Nothing like a disco fabulous headliner.
                            *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

when i did my t top conversion i found a local shop that sells head liners for our cars. and they are in mint condition. $50 bucks. now what do you think. i can put up the link to their site tomorrow.
                              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X