gauge swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gauge swap

Does anybody know if i could install a z28 or any other 150 mph or higher gauge cluster into my 95 camaro?? it has the 3.8 v6, so it only shows up to like 115.. and i can bury the needle, so im just wondering if there is any way to put one in that reads higher.. if so, would i need some type of adapter or something for the wiring??

Re: gauge swap

Did you take off the top speed limiter?

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

not yet, but i can still put it just barely under.. i do plan to very soon though

Comment

Well it would be A LOT of hassel to put the Z28 gauges in (like a reprogramed PCM)....... plus I wouldnt want to take my car much past 120 anyway........

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

ok, well, is there any way i can anything over 115 in there without having to reprogram??

Comment

Your car should top out right around, 120. You have a 3.8 right?

Comment

you sure you dont have a 3.4?

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
              Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
              http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

yes, i have the optional 3.8, and yes, it does go about 120 or so.. but i will be removing the top speed limiter soon.. my friend has the exact same car and has the limiter removed, he claims to have hit 140 before, but that was in a 97 rs, where i believe they have a 150 mph speedo..

Comment

Originally posted by 95camaro3800
                  Does anybody know if i could install a z28 or any other 150 mph or higher gauge cluster into my 95 camaro?? it has the 3.8 v6, so it only shows up to like 115.. and i can bury the needle, so im just wondering if there is any way to put one in that reads higher.. if so, would i need some type of adapter or something for the wiring??
                  Yep. There are a few that have done this, including myself. It's just a matter of taking the dash apart to get to it. I've done it a couple of times, I put on white face gauges, then swapped out the cluster, then put white faces on them. Do a search and you will find more advice on it. Swapping the cluster does not take the limiter off. The tach was off on mine, when I did the swap. You would have to change a resistor to get the tach to read true. I have an A4 so it doesn't bother me any. Other members have said that there wasn't any problems with their tach.

Rob
                  Last edited by rt1; 07-29-2006, 10:11 AM.
                  \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

97 still have the 125 speedo....ur top speed is 118 unless u up it or erase it....i have the 97 pcm in mine and i had it upped to 155...im not sure about the 95 pcms but i know the 96 i couldnt program it

87 Firebird RIP
                    96 Camaro RS RIP
                    94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                    02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Does the Z-28 155mph cluster hook right up in a 125mph v6er place?

Comment

Originally posted by 01PewterDropTop
                        Does the Z-28 155mph cluster hook right up in a 125mph v6er place?
                        From what I have noticed, GM has used the same wire harnesses in the V6s and the Zs. So I would say, if you got the cluster from the same year as your V6, it will fit. I have a 94 Z28s cluster in my 95 V6.

Rob
                        \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

Guage should swap OK. I put a TA guage in my 3.8 bird and it works fine. I even checked out through very crude calibration method that Speedo was readin gacurately.

Mine is a 96.
                          96 Teal Firebird<br />Colchester, Essex, UK<br /><a href=\"http://www.centrestage.free-online.co.uk\" target=\"_blank\">www.centrestage.free-online.co.uk</a>

Comment

Since i have a 2001 firebird*Drop Top* would a 1997-2002 Trans Am 155mph speedo with the digital trip/oil bolt on right? do i have to calibrate the speedo if it does bolt on

Comment

i think the only difference is the speed is off 25% and the redline is lower. thats on the Z cluster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X