Found a wheel cleaner that actually works - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a wheel cleaner that actually works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a wheel cleaner that actually works

Meguiar's Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner

Short story behind it:
    I took my stock chrome salad shooters off of my 96 Camaro in May when I put the C5's on. The chrome on the stock wheels was peeling on two of the rims, and all of the rims were brown and black inside. The car was pretty much neglected before I owned it and so it's pretty much 7 years worth of brake dust, tar, road grime, etc. on the rims. When I took the wheels off in May I tried 3 different wheel cleaners and 2 different tar removers and I scrubbed hard with both a towel and brush. Nothing worked. I could get some of the surface crud off but not much other than that.
    Now that summers over I took the C5's off and put the stock wheels back on until next summer. I tried one last time to clean the stock rims before putting then back on. I used the Meguiar's Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner that I bought when I put the C5's on. Since the C5's are new there wasn't much to see when I would clean them, but when I used it on the stock wheels I was amazed. I still had to scrub really hard with a towel, but I could see this stuff coming off as I scrubed.

How I cleaned them:
    I sprayed (very liberally) inside each wheel. With a towel I started scrubbing inside the wheel that was in best shape first, letting the wheel cleaner soak on the other wheels. I started scrubbing hard, and then I began to notice how much better the inside of the wheel looked. I then scrubbed a section that was pretty brown, and it was no longer brown. I finished cleaning the wheel, hosed it down, dried it, and moved onto the next wheel. There are some really bad spots that still did not come clean (pictures below). There are some pits in the wheel that are just black that won't come clean, but 90% of this crud came off. The areas where that didn't come clean are areas that are horrible: the chrome is chipped, peeled, or pitted and the crud is kind of sunken in from the layer of chrome, I wouldn't expect anything to be able to get rid of those spots.

If you use this stuff put a towel or blanket under the wheels, this wheel cleaner is very strong and it will kill the grass. I also wore gloves because I had a small cut in my finger and it stung when it got on my finger.

Before Pictures: (The wheel closest had already been cleaned before I took the picture and all of the wheels where already sprayed with the wheel cleaner)
    http://www.geocities.com/jaymatic/Before_1.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/jaymatic/Before_2.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/jaymatic/Before_3.jpg

During: (cleaned section right next to an uncleaned section)
    http://www.geocities.com/jaymatic/During_1.jpg (The pit in the cleaned section on the right and along the top of the picture are the spots that stayed black)
    http://www.geocities.com/jaymatic/During_2.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/jaymatic/During_3.jpg

After:
    http://www.geocities.com/jaymatic/After_2.jpg (Black spots are pits)
    http://www.geocities.com/jaymatic/After_3.jpg (That brown spot on the first wheel is not dirty, the chrome peeled away there)
    1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Re: Found a wheel cleaner that actually works

looks pretty good, Ive had the same luck with all purpose windex, but my wheels aren't chrome.

Comment

:tup: Nice job!

On a random note: Why are they called salad shooters?

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
      i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
      R.I.P. '07 Pats
      Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

because the design of the wheel would shoot salad (and only salad) if spun really fast... i don't know..
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

That's an amazing difference. Good job.

If your wheels are painted, use quick detailer to clean them. If they're really dirty Castrol wheel cleaner works really well to degrease. Make sure to rinse it off really well though, it eats clear coat after a while. You should also use car shampoo and a soft sponge or wash mit.

I think they're called salad shooters because they look like those plastic containers that you put lettuce in to make salad: you put it in, put on the top, and spin a handle to spin the lettuce inside the container. I can't really tell you what this does, just mix I guess. The rims look like the inner part of the container.
          Last edited by Camarorulz; 09-03-2006, 06:07 PM.
          -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

if you have clear coated wheels you can use polishes on them, a light cut will usually work very well, you can wet sand rusty sections too
            K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

I was actually gonna post too about how awesome meguiar's chrome cleaner is. I got some yesterday and it was awesome!
              2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
              Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Comment

stick those wheels in here and go to town.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

hey wheels came out sweet! jay how far away from Rhode Island r u? it cant b to far...u go to nefbody.org? im tryin to get more v6 guys in there...theres only a handfull of us

87 Firebird RIP
                  96 Camaro RS RIP
                  94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                  02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

mr clean magic erasers work surprisingly well, but my wheels are also not chrome

Comment

Yea, after I cleaned them I polished them to keep them looking good now that all that crud is gone.

SilverRS, it takes me about 20 minutes to get to RI, about a half hour to get to Cumberland. I am in school for most of the year but I'll definately come around in late spring/summer when I get out.
                      1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

where do u go to school?

87 Firebird RIP
                        96 Camaro RS RIP
                        02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Wentworth, in Boston.

How many people are there in New England F-body now?
                          Is it mostly V8 guys?

Comment

whats ur s/n easier to talk to u there

87 Firebird RIP
                            96 Camaro RS RIP
                            02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                              New Site Hosting Issues
                              by FirebirdGT
                              All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                              1 week ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              4 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X