Windshield cleaning - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield cleaning - help please

My windshield has streak marks that follow the path of the wipers. I have tried the clean these off with everything that I can think of, no luck. I have installed new wiper blades since the purchase.

Can I use rubbing compound to get this off? It is wierd, it's not really scratches, it is sort of a glare like streak, very bad at night.

Re: Windshield cleaning - help please

Sounds like scratches to me...

http://forum.camarov6.com/search.php?searchid=34565
    sigpic

Comment

I had something like that on my windsheild too. What I did was wax the windsheild. Did it just like you do the car, and it was gone when I was done. My windshield also looks better now, and the rain just runs right off it, so I don't need my wipers as much.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

they actually have a special wax called Rain X, it pretty much just makes the water bead and as long as your goin about 30MPH it just blows right off, its pretty cool.

Comment

Unfortunately, it did not work. They are scratches for sure. You cannot feel them with a fingernail, but they are there and they will not come out. I tried rubbing compound, wax, scratch remover, and even flitz in a small spot to test it. This is not good...

Comment

use 3M marine compound. It will take off water spots, scratches etc!

Comment

Originally posted by carl g. berlin
              use 3M marine compound. It will take off water spots, scratches etc!
              Is there a certain grade of 3M or is it pretty standard? Also, can you do it by hand, or is a buffer necessary? I do have a 6" buffer if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd
                My windshield has streak marks that follow the path of the wipers. I have tried the clean these off with everything that I can think of, no luck. I have installed new wiper blades since the purchase.

Can I use rubbing compound to get this off? It is wierd, it's not really scratches, it is sort of a glare like streak, very bad at night.
                I have the same problem with mine :rant: if you find something that works let me know. I havent really tried anything yet i've been to busy.

Comment

i got the same problem from the previous owner, ive heard very fine steel wool works, i have yet to try it cuz it seems like it would scratch it more but several people have reccomened the very fine kind
                  1999 Firebird W68<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995565\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995565</a> <br />-Derek

Comment

Originally posted by redfbird99
                    i got the same problem from the previous owner, ive heard very fine steel wool works, i have yet to try it cuz it seems like it would scratch it more but several people have reccomened the very fine kind
                    I dont think I have the balls to try that :eek:

Comment

Re: Windshield Scratches - solution

First, thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. I tried everything and nothing worked to remove the scratches, except:

Buying a new windshield.

Done, $175 installed. Super clear, not distorted, looks great.

Now I will actually be able to see where I am going. :)

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd
                        First, thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. I tried everything and nothing worked to remove the scratches, except:

Buying a new windshield.

Done, $175 installed. Super clear, not distorted, looks great.

Now I will actually be able to see where I am going. :)
                        Where did you get it?

Comment

I'm having one put in this very second, there charging the insurance company 275, and they were late!!
                          Originally posted by kala
                          I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                          parting her out

Comment

Originally posted by Maro99
                            Where did you get it?
                            A company here in Miami called Quality Auto Glass. They came to my house and did the job right here, took about 30 minutes. The glass had a PPG label on it. Price was right.

Just got back from a night drive to check for glare, what a difference!!! No glare, clear, clear, clear.

Comment

Originally posted by crushedout
                              I'm having one put in this very second, there charging the insurance company 275, and they were late!!
                              You will be very pleased when you see the difference.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X