automatic shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automatic shift knob

How do I put on my automatic shift knob I put the car in first without cranking on the engine then when I put it back in park I can't remove my key. Im wondering Am Im supposed to put on the e brake or what. Do I need an adapter and where do I get one because all I got was the shift knob and a little piece that goes inside the shift knob but it dosen't reach inside of the knob so I can shift. Can someone help me out on this because this is my second shift knob I bought and still no luck

Re: automatic shift knob

i read that a couple of times and im still confused. are you saying the button wont engage and you cant shift with the new knob?

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

ahh yeah..i bought one like that a while back..
      it was a cheap ebay shift knob.. gave me soooo much trouble so i finally threw it out and went and bought one from advanced auto. i havent had a problem with it yet!! :)

but yeah those ebay ones have a little hole inside of the push button part and that little plastic piece doesnt go all the way up in it so it doesnt shift right. and if you cant pull the key out its because you have the knob adjusted too low and the shifter is pushed the slightest bit down and the key wont release..if you understood any of that...

Comment

Yeah I understand and I know thats why my key will not come out but yall should see this shift knob you will love it. It looks just like our stock shift knob but the button you push down is chrome and at the buttom its chrome

here is a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33703

Comment

that is a pretty nice shifter. if it works out i might pick one up too. be sure to take pics when complete.
          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
          1994 Camaro - Sold
          1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

before i buy one might as well ask..my buddy has one of the roudn eclipse shifters from a fourth gen he said i can buy when i get his fuel door.. so i was wondering will that even fit
            <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

Yeah, that's real nice. I like it better than ANY other shifter I've seen for the automatic because it looks stock but, of course, nicer. Please post pics when you're done installing it.
              2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
              1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
              2011 Cadillac CTS-V
              2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
              2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

I just need to install it but Ill try and get pictures soon as possible it looks even better in person the picture does the actual shift knob no justice I might just get it installed professionally

Comment

I tried to replace mine too, it didnt have a shift button (stupid, I know, but hey, Im young, I can be stupid)

I tried to just jam the push button down on that inside white plastic thinger, it worked, but as you say, I couldnt take my key out. It appears theres 3 "Stages"

Highest stage, I believe only engauged in park

2nd stage, for R - N and from OD - D

3rd stage, stays enguaged while in D, 2, and 1

I tried to put it down to the 3rd stage, and it worked, but I couldnt take the key out, so my guess is that the shift knob you bought isnt letting it into that highest stage area. Just a guess.

Comment

i have the problem where that white rod in the center gets stuck down and i have to pull my shift knob off and pull it up with with pliers it is a 99 coupe any idea on how i could fix this please email me at mulloynet@netzero.net

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2442428

Comment

Try putting some grease around the white rod and button, that should help a bit. I had the same problem with my Ichibahn knob but fixed the problem easily.

Comment

is their a certian grease i should use or no?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2442428

Comment

Any grease would work but your best bet would be a white or clear multi-purpose grease. You can pick up small squeeze tube of it at any auto parts store. Also, make sure that when you apply the grease...depress the white rod up and down a few times to work the grease down and even it out so it doesn't gunk up and come out your button.

Comment

thanks, ill try it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                              New Site Hosting Issues
                              by FirebirdGT
                              All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                              1 week ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              4 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X