scotchbrite green dish pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scotchbrite green dish pads?

is it okay to use them on clear coat paint?
    I would think not cause they are kinda scratchy
    but people use wet sandpaper to get out scratches..
    thanks
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Re: scotchbrite green dish pads?

Im not 100% sure but I can tell you I wouldn't use it on my car. And if you don't think it is good then i wouldn't either.

Comment

1500 or 2000 grit Wet Sandpaper is ALOT finer than the scotchbrite pad! If you want to sand the clearcoat, use the 2000 grit, and use PLENTY of water. I actually did this and had a garden hose running constantly over the sandpaper. You don't need the water to come out at full pressure, just enough to keep the area wet.

After sanding, use a buffer with a good carnuba wax and go over the area again & again until the shine is returned.

Tips:
      Don't sand too harshly! If the blemish is still there after sanding, you can always re-sand again. If you go too deep while sanding, you'll need to re-clearcoat:mad:
      When buffing, go over the area lightly. Staying on one section for too long will burn right through the paint, and then you're in for much bigger problems!
      sigpic

Comment

I would use 2500 or more personally. definatly a no on the scrath pad
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Dont use scothbrite pads, start w/ 2500 grit paper, then step down to 3000.

i dont agree w/ this "After sanding, use a buffer with a good carnuba wax and go over the area again & again until the shine is returned."

Once you used the 3000 paper, your going to have to use a somewhat abrasive polish (megs dacp possibly), then a less abrasive polish (megs 9) and so on (speed glaze),those will most likely need to be machine applied, wether it be a PC or rotary, the last step should be wax/sealant.

thats the proper way of doing it at least... any more questions, im a wealth of detailing knowledge

Comment

when school is out I work as a professional detailer, we just use 2000 grit sand paper in a bucket of water, but on my own car i perfer to use 2200 then 2500, also a very small amout of soap in the bucket makes it a nicer lubricant. Then i use heavy cut compound (we use detail king where i work) then a finer compound, after that you need to put a good selant coat on, a durable wax will do the trick.

but before you try wet sanding i would see if the heavy compound and a buffer would take out the scratches, use a medium pad, a soft one will probably be to0 harsh for what you'll need,

if you take a few pictures of what your gonna try to fix you can post em and I'm sure me and some other guys can tell you the best way to fix it
            K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X