Can you use headlights in place of foglights? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use headlights in place of foglights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use headlights in place of foglights?

I have a 96 camaro. I decided i like the headlight covers, but having them off for a few days, i realize how much they take away from the functionality of the headlights. It's about as bright now as it is with my foglights only on, only maybe 4 fog lights instead of 2. My brights do virtually nothing except spread the dull light over a wider area. So i'm wondering what the most cost effective route is to get the functionality of normal headlights, but with headlight covers.

Basically i want driving lights or HID, but i don't want to spend the money. I want SUPER CHEAP...

Is it possible to use sealed beam headlights inplace of my fogs?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Can you use headlights in place of foglights?

Don't know if the headlight will fit the fog light area. Then you'd have to fabricate some sort of mount for the headlight which has no bracket on it. The headlight is smooth all around.
    Then...you'd have to splice into the headlights housing and run a harness to the foglights, and hop that it doesn't short-out when you flip them on.

Too much work imo. It's cheaper to remove the headlight covers at night when you're driving.
    sigpic

Comment

ummm, well check your local laws, but headlights can't be above/below a certain height, so driving with fogs only prolly would'nt cut it....and as for the cheap route...I must agree, just rip the covers off at night.....other than that go for some hid's...I love mine.

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
      05' CTS-V
      00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

i wish i had the money for HIDs. What's the cheapest route i can take? I don't want to take off the covers every night, since it's a pain to get them lined up perfectly, but i will if i'm driving in the country or something when i really need the light. They are fine for around town.

Aren't all the hid conversions over $150? Even with HIDs, would the light be that much better than i wouldn't need to take the covers off?

Could someone hook me up with the link to the cheapest HIDs available?
        Thanks guys.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
          New Site Hosting Issues
          by FirebirdGT
          All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
          1 week ago
        • LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          4 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X