clear coat coming off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear coat coming off

so on my hood the clear coat is coming off and it bugs me so much. do autozone sell some type of clear coat to fix it or should i just have the whole car redone. its only coming off the hood but i noticed its starting to come off the trunk to. is there anything i can use to help prevent it from coming off. thanks

Re: clear coat coming off

i have the same deal... since i don't have the cash to get the car redone, i'm just hoping it'll last for awhile. DON'T PRESSURE WASH your car in the arears where its comming off unless you want to remove more.
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

The clearcoat at autozone WILL work, but only as a temporary solution. You'll have to wetsand the edges of the peeling clearcoat to smooth them out as best as possible, wait for it to completely dry, then spray on the stuff in the spraycan. After 24 hours, wetsand again to smooth the finish, then buff with a good wax.
      This procedure is strictly temporary, but will work until you've saved enough to have it professionally re-CC'd.
      sigpic

Comment

a professional quality repaint or touch up is the only true fix. now if youre a professional, then i guess you could do it, but if not take it somewhere.

clear coat from walmart or az might look ok, but if youve never worked with it before id be willing ot bet it will only turn out looking worse than it allready is.

btw, waxing the car will prevent such terrible things from happening :)

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman
          The clearcoat at autozone WILL work, but only as a temporary solution. You'll have to wetsand the edges of the peeling clearcoat to smooth them out as best as possible, wait for it to completely dry, then spray on the stuff in the spraycan. After 24 hours, wetsand again to smooth the finish, then buff with a good wax.
          This procedure is strictly temporary, but will work until you've saved enough to have it professionally re-CC'd.
          That was the 'solution' i was going to post :tup:
          Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

I would not wax a clear coat right after you put it on. Not sure about the directions on that stuff, but i know wax is a no no for any kind of fresh paint for atleast 2-3 weeks, depending on the grade of clear. DCU3000 calls for 2 weeks after it is sprayed. Well good luck, save up for a good paint job.

Comment

Your best solution would be to have your hood repainted and have them blend it with the adjacent panels so the paint doesn't look uneven.
              -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X