How to get paint off my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get paint off my car?

I hit a green plastic recycling bin while backing into my parking spot....didn't see it. My car now has some green paint on it that scraped off the bin. Nothing major, but any ideas about how to remove it w/o screwing up my paint?

Re: How to get paint off my car?

Try first a mothers clay bar. Follow the instructions on the box. If that doesnt work try some 3m or meguiars swirl remover. if that doesnt work, i suggest meguiars fine cut cleaner or a comparable product.

wetsanding is a possibility, but only if you have an idea how to go about doing it.

when all else fails, take it to the pros.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

I would try the clay bar first, as said. If that doesn't work, try some paint cleaner, like Meguiar's #83 dual action cleaner/polish. You'd have to order that: www.autopia-carcare.com

If you don't want to order online, I'm sure Auto Zone or O'Reilly's has a paint cleaner that's similar. Work the cleaner/polish in with a foam applicator until dry, put more on and repeat until the problem area is clean.

I've taken care of problems like this with Klasse All In One, an applicator and elbow grease, and that's a VERY LOW abrasive product. You can get that at autopia as well, or do a search to find it somewhere cheaper.

Meg's rubbing compound might work as well: you can find that at AZ too.

If that doesn't work, try a product called "Oops" : you should be able to find it at Auto Zone. That will take it off I'm sure.

You shouldn't need to wetsand. That's way too harsh for this problem. Elbow grease, some sort of paint cleaner and a foam applicator are your friends here.

There, that should give you plenty of choice. Good luck. :)
      Last edited by Camarorulz; 12-02-2006, 03:34 PM.
      -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Good ideas. I'll try the clay bar since I have that already, and go from there.

Comment

rubbing compound.... dont go with the cheap stuff i suggest 3M rubbing compound thats clear coat safe

Comment

Wash it good to get off the loose stuff then hit it with some rubbing compound.

Recently did it to my car on a scuff spot from a car that rubbed along the front edge or mine.

Before (and after being washed and cleaned up):

After (took about 10 minutes or less with an Porter cable orbital polisher):
            1997 Camaro v6 3.8 <br />Bone Stock, just a little slower then most station wagons.<br />**Either the slowest SS or the prettiest v6**

Comment

yes def try claybar first as it is the safest but you could also try some "3m general adhesive remover." Its some real toxic stuff but it wont mess up the paint i promise. Make sure you put fresh wax over anywhere you use it though.
              1997 Camaro<br />17x9 Chrome SS wheels, SLP CAI, Magnaflow Catback,<br />High Flow Cat, Blacked out Lights, 20% tint, AUDIO: 1600W Kenwood eXcelon Amp, 12\" Kicker L7, 1 Farad Cap (Recently STOLEN),<br />H&R Springs and KYB AGX\'s,<br />Billet Grille

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                3 days ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X