I painted everything under the hood today! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I painted everything under the hood today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I painted everything under the hood today!

Well I started a thread yesterday about painting my entire engine black because my car is a daily driver and the engine is just plain dirty. I wanted a solution for being able to make the engine look nice while spending as little money as possible and while having as little maintenance as possible. More people told me to go for it and I did. I have to say I personally like the way it turned out. Fill me in on your opinions. Before you look at the pics though I will admit that the only part I actually removed from the engine for painting was the alternator and the intake tube. Everything else I painted while on the motor. I made sure to get every nook and cranny visible to the eye without removing parts. So if you are wondering if you can see missed spots on the intake in the back, the answer is no because I managed to find an angle that allowed me to paint what is visible. I used old ripped apart shirts to cover up what I didn't want painted to prevent over spray. Click on the thumbnails to see a full size photo. Let me hear your opinions.

Re: I painted everything under the hood today!

Comment

not crazy about it. looks like you popped your hood and downed it in paint. should of just stuck to the intakes, valvecovers and accessory brackets
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold
      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

eh..:o

-Y87
        Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

I don't like it either. Don't take this the wrong way, but it looks kinda ghetto now...or like an engine from a redneck's 30 yr old truck.

I would never buy a car with a spraypainted engine because I'd fear that the seller is trying to hide something like leaks, old & worn parts, etc.
          sigpic

Comment

That's about the stupidest mod I've ever seen. You could have spent that time actually cleaning the engine and it would look a hell of a lot better.
            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

LOL @ you guys. Haha, everyone said "go for it" and now its "well that just looks like ****" :tup:

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
              i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
              R.I.P. '07 Pats
              Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Ouch! I appreciate the opinions although all negative. I personally am happy with it mainly because all the grease covered gray parts look newer to me now, it is unique, and I don't have to worry about cleaning it so much. Keep the opinions coming. It sucks to here the negative comments, but what can I say I took a chance and there is no turning back now. Here are some thumbnails after everything has been put back on the motor.

Last edited by 88gtman; 03-19-2007, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I think it looks ****ing cool. Cleans it up alot! What kind of paint did you use?
                  I would add a little red on the intake manifold, but thats just me/that would go with my paint scheme.

Comment

I just used a coat of Duplicolor Black engine enamel and 2 coats of clear coat engine enamel. I actually think it looked better before I put on the clear coat. Thanks for the opinion.

Comment

I personally think it looks quite good, but it's in desperate need of an accent color. Yellow or red would look really nice, spark plug wires and other various wires. You seriously need to clean the white part of under your hood though, that makes everything look dirty.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I agree, I tried cleaning it a little recently, but it still doesn't look very good. I am thinking about covering the engine and engine parts and repainting the white parts under the hood. I am also planning on adding new spark plug wires in the future, colored wire loom, and maybe some MSD coils. Any suggestions as to colors?

Comment

Ok... so close up it looked pretty bad. But from further away it.. still looks bad. Sorry, but it needs accents to stand out, i'm sure then it'll look better.

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
                          i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                          R.I.P. '07 Pats
                          Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

I think it looks good... better than dirt, oil, and grease (what my engine bay is currently painted with).... however... it would look a TON better with some silver... or red... or periwinkle... anything to set off the black...

Comment

wheres your alternator take a pick with it in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X