Painting rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting rims

Does anyone have a tutorial on painting rims or knows how many base coats and clear coats and what kind of paint and primer you use?? Also if paint will stick to the rim nicely or not?

Re: Painting rims

You might want to try posting in the appearance section and searching there as well. I can't think of a good tutorial for this though but there are ways of doing this and having it come out nicely.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

TheGr8Schlotzky has done it. Try getting him.
      I think he did 6 base coats and 4 clear coats, maybe switched.
      His look nice.

But yeah, either try it in the apperance forum, or a mod will move it for you.

Comment

Keep in mind, the most important part of painting is the prep work. if it's not prepped right, they are not going too look good.

Since one of my wheels is bent, i'm going to be doing it once more, and i can do a writeup with pictures if you'd like. I ordered that wheel a month ago and as far as i know it hasn't shipped, so as soon as it's here i'll get that done.

the main thing is to make sure there is no grease or oil on the wheels. I washed them down with dawn (grease cutting, and removes wax) another thing to use is bug and tar remover, and i used TSP [trisodium phosphate] which is used for prepping painted surfaces for a new coat of paint. get a primer that is friendly with the paint your using, and sometimes it helps to spend a few extra bucks on better quality paint. few extra in this case is literal, since these are still aerosol cans and don't cost much. make sure to use enamel paints since they will bond better in this application than lacquer. i believe i used 2 cans of gloss black enamel and 3 cans of clear enamel, and had some left at the end. after sanding with 220 , i put 4 coats of black and 6 of clear. Color sanding is up next, though i'm not sure that i'll ever have the time to finish that project.

Just take your time.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by Crazed98Camaro
          But yeah, either try it in the apperance forum, or a mod will move it for you.
          Notice that the suspension forum still has no mod, so I doubt this will be moved very quickly. It's probably best to just go start a new thread over there or just get on AIM or something with TheGr8Schlotzky. Good luck. What kind of rims are these you are thinking of doing anyway?
          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

dupli color makes a paint in a spray bottle just for wheels, just to give you a heads up, I bet there is a tuturial on there site as well
            K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

TheGr8Schlotzky if you could do a writeup for me with pics that would be AWESOME and you can send them to my email omgdude@iastate.edu i actually saw your rims and now i want to do the same so i found some rims and now its my next project

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X