Applying clear coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying clear coat

I'm using some "crystal clear" duplicolor clear coat spray can to attempt to give a glossy finish to a body panel (not the camaro). However, even with a very light coat of the spray, it is hazy...is that how it's suppose to be? How do i use spray can clear coat? lol
    1999 Camaro Z/28
    1973 Firebird Formula

Re: Applying clear coat

It really shouldn't be hazy unless it's humid or it's not bonding properly with the paint you used. If it is orange-peel, you can wetsand it out and then use a very fine compound to get the shine back.. (but I don't think you're talking about orange-peel here).
    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

ok...well it's been raining for the last 2 days...

maybe that's it...i tried wetsanding it off but it just took the clear coat off
      1999 Camaro Z/28
      1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

i've found with canned clearcoat, you have to use thicker coats. just make sure you don't do too much so that it starts running, but even if it does, that can be wetsanded out and polished up. it's kinda tricky to get it right.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
          ok...well it's been raining for the last 2 days...

maybe that's it...i tried wetsanding it off but it just took the clear coat off

I guess you didn't have very much on there or it just rubs off very easily...If you're going to try again, make sure you do it when there is low humidity. Put a couple of coats on and let it sit in the sun and dry for a day. Then if you still have a light hazing or orange peel, use a very fine rubbing compound on a rag to buff it out.

Really though, if you are painting/clear coating a panel, the paint needs to be applied and baked at a shop. The over-the-counter stuff is only good for light touch-ups. And if your clearing over factory clearcoat, it will just come off anyway.
          2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
          1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
          2011 Cadillac CTS-V
          2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
          2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X