Any way to fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to fix this?

A while back I was applying touch-up paint to the road-scars. While applying applying the touch-up paint to the little nicked spots the bottle broke and spilt on the bumper. As you can see after I tried rubbing the touch-up paint off with a damp rag seconds after it happened the clear coat finish was rubbed off, and the bumper seem to be scratched from the rubbing motion. Is there any way to fix it, without going to a body shop?

Here is a picture:

Close up:

Re: Any way to fix this?

use non acetone nailpolish remover. im dead serious. ive done it before like 100 times works wonders

Comment

I'll give it a shot tomorrow =)

Comment

that, or odorless mineral spririts might do the trick too.....and if all else fails, acetone/xylene.

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
        05' CTS-V
        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

Do I need to buy a bottle of clear coat too?

Comment

no. im pretty sure your clearcoat didnt come off..it just appears that way. ive spilled the bottle before and NOTHING gets it off cept the remover i mentioned earlier

Comment

looking through everything in the closet I found a bottle of nail polish remover, but it has acetone in it. =/

Comment

The job is done. The area is still dull/faded, but at least the touchup paint that was on the bumper is now gone. Most of the scratched looking areas also seemed to vanish... must have been from the touchup paint rather than the cheese cloth I used in attempt to pick up the paint. I guess I can go get some clear coat to better protect the faded area. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

I hate to bump up a somewhat old post of mine. However, I've gotten a chance to finally wax the car down and whatnot. From there I noticed the dull nostril was looking nice and shinny. I was told at the auto part store to apply clear coat after waxing it, but they don't "carry" any clear coat that can be applied to a bumper like the Firebird's. Do any of you know I can find clear coat that can be applied to that area of the car? I assume since they say they don't carry clear coat for bumpers that would mean enamel clear coat would not work. I talked to one place and he says they only sell them by the gallon and wouldn't tell me the brand.

Comment

if you said it was shiny is should be fine. There are a few products you can use to get the shine back, and i don't think your clear coat got removed from the encounter with the paint and chemicals.
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
                      if you said it was shiny is should be fine. There are a few products you can use to get the shine back, and i don't think your clear coat got removed from the encounter with the paint and chemicals.
                      It's shinny, but it lacks the reflection.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                        Good to see the site is back up
                        by 2.8 Bird
                        So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                        2 days ago
                      • FirebirdGT
                        New Site Hosting Issues
                        by FirebirdGT
                        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                        2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X