Your thoughts please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts please!

First time poster, first time owner of F-Body.

I was thinking about doing a billet grill in my 1996 Camaro, but here's the kicker, in Illinois (well in my part of Illinois) front plate is required :slap:. I thought about putting in my window and I decided to do some research and found that one is not legal, because if you were to get into a car accident that plate can become a projectile (trust me I don't wanna have my head sliced off).

So I thought about it, what if I shape my plate and just bolt it on in the middle or on the side. Here's some ref pictures:

Maybe I can mount it on the left or right or middle, but will it look like ***?
    Last edited by InfraredMonkey; 07-20-2007, 08:59 PM.

Re: Your thoughts please!

I don't know if you can, but you can imagine what it would look like...just hold it up where it would be, or if ya want you can take a picture of both and use photoshop or something. i think it would look better than regular, you just wouldn't be able to see it all... oh and congrats on your first camaro, i just got my first one too :D

Comment

Glad I live in KY

Welcome and get the billet grill
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by InfraredMonkey
        I thought about putting in my window and I decided to do some research and found that one is not legal, because if you were to get into a car accident that plate can become a projectile (trust me I don't wanna just my head sliced off).
        outside of the guillotine effect in an accident, it still won't get you out of a ticket if you get pulled over for it and use that as a defense

Comment

im in ny, and just got pulled over for my plate in my dash.

im getting a billet grille, and am just going to use zip ties, as some have done before. beats getting a ticket.
          ....or getting your head chopped off....

Comment

Originally posted by Crazed98Camaro
            im in ny, and just got pulled over for my plate in my dash.

im getting a billet grille, and am just going to use zip ties, as some have done before. beats getting a ticket.
            ....or getting your head chopped off....
            i just dont see how a plate in the front windshield is going to come back at you and decapitate you unless you got rear-ended by some guy in a F15 doing like mach 2...

oh yeah... get the billet grill, I'm running with no plate in chicago without getting hassled *knock on wood*
            2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

I was also wondering, will it fit on my camaro? I have just a Camaro, not a Z28 or SS. It doesn't have an original grill, just a mount for the front plate. Will it still work? :poke:

Comment

nope. Your stock license plate bracket won't fit. Zip ties could work.

As for forming the plate to fit in the area, i've seen it done, but i don't think it's legal. I don't know that a policeman would really hassle you for it but i wouldn't know.

When i bought my car, there were two holes in the bumper where the last guy screwed the plate in, so i just use those holes, and take it off for photo shoots.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

CT has a front plate law, but my cars from the factory don't have them. my 01 chevy blazer Xtreme doesn't nor does my 97 bird...so screw it i have not been hit for it, if anything keep it under the driver seat if you get pulled over for it and he asks where it is, just give him the story got car like this does not have mounts and fight the ticket, court will most likely drop it

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=81175

Comment

dude they are strict in mass too

and ive been driving 4.5 years....never had a front plate. never been bothered

Comment

Originally posted by Niko97RS
                      dude they are strict in mass too

and ive been driving 4.5 years....never had a front plate. never been bothered
                      yah i never get bothered whe i go to Worcetser to my bor tattoo shp,webster or Boston, they will onyl bother you if you give them a reason to

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
                        nope. Your stock license plate bracket won't fit. Zip ties could work.

As for forming the plate to fit in the area, i've seen it done, but i don't think it's legal. I don't know that a policeman would really hassle you for it but i wouldn't know.

When i bought my car, there were two holes in the bumper where the last guy screwed the plate in, so i just use those holes, and take it off for photo shoots.
                        Here's the funny part, I'm actually doing this because I thought it looked awesome on your car, Troy.

I see it's mounted on the grill in this picture on your cardomain:

How is the grill actually mounted? Was it drilled in? I think it looks fine when you have the plate on, but it looks better when the plate is off for photo shots. I may just get the grill. Any last thoughts?

Comment

i live in illinois too, and i took my plate and screwed it to the black air dam piece that it under the car and hangs down a little bit. you can see it perfectly coming down the road perfectly and i talked to a state trooper that live across the street from my girlfriend and he told me that he didnt think i would have a problem with it being there.

Comment

in ca its required. both my camaros dont have front plates. iv have been stopped before, for speeding (never gotten a ticket) and they have not said a thing about the front. my buddy on the other hand got a ticket because the cop was in a "good mood". he was supposed to get a ticket because the parking meter time expired in SF. $100, but if he fixed it and presented it, which he did, it would only be 10. after that he took off the front plate again

Comment

when i installed my billet grill i just used the 4 screws and some pressure with a screwdriver. Installation was under 2 minutes, most of which was placement. You could always just install the grill and leave the plate off until you get hassled for it and put it back on after that. Personally I didn't want one more reason for the cops to notice me.
                              sigpic
                              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                              1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X