Tinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinting

I'm thinking of getting some window tinting for my car and putting on myself. I was wondering how hard it is to do, and the likelihood of screwing it up. I would hate to have a wrinkle in it or something, that would look horrible. I'm not terribly good at doing these kinds of things, but not completely incompetent.

Re: Tinting

dont do it just pay for it I tried doing that and it was a waste of 10 dollars or whatever the precut tint cost which I got off ebay

Comment

I'm not going to lie. Unless you have done alot of tinting in the past, go not even attempt a 4th gen. I've tinted alot of vehicles (read: well over 100) that turned out very nice, and the back window on my car was a real PITA. I had to do it in three pieces, and it took some sanding, some glue, and a whole lot of heatshrinking before I was satisfied. The side windows in contrast were a piece of cake.

So, I would really suggest taking it to a pro. Even if you just have them do the rear window, and then do the sides yourself.

However, if you feel confident enough to do it yourself, I can't stress enough: Take your time!!
      Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

Any idea how much it costs to get it done by a pro? Just need a ballpark estimate.

Comment

Pending on location, anywhere from 150-250 should be expected.
          Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

Originally posted by TheOG
            Any idea how much it costs to get it done by a pro? Just need a ballpark estimate.
            usually around here its 100-150 and they do the rear hatch in one piece.

There is one place here in Lex that does it the week of your birthday for 80 bucks. I'd search around your location and find someone who knows what they are doing. Its alot harder then anyone could imagine. We tried it on dads truck and gave up about an hour into it.
            Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

I did my sides. Screwed up one side, redid it. Tinting isn't easy, but the sides are possible. I didn't even want to try the hatch.. Got it done for $70.
              sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

How did you guys screw it up, just curious? Don't you put some soapy solution on the window, lay the tint, then squeegee it out? The only problem I'd have (I think) is cutting it around the edges. But I think you lay it on the outside of the window first to cut it... right?
                2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

i got all three windows done at 15% by a pro. came out perfect. dont waste your time and money trying to do it urself....just shop around

o and it cost me $80
                  Last edited by Niko97RS; 09-14-2007, 12:31 PM.

Comment

i do my own tint. its easy.

i'll never spend 200 for someone else to do it. it only costs me like 12 for a roll. so, 3 rolls for a car is 36. already have the materials...razorblade, squeegee, soap and water in a bottle.

you'd probably need to watch someone do it first, so you know how to do it.

Comment

It's a bugger because of the way the windows are shaped and the size of them, I tried it and it turned out like crap so I had a pro do it.

Comment

the funny part is each time i had someone help me, and each time they screwed it up. I did the passenger side on my own and it turned out perfect. the first time my dad put a big crease in the driver side because he tried to squegee out too big of a line instead of pulling it tight. Same thing second time by a friend. This one isn't noticable though so i live with it.
                        sigpic
                        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X