anybody with shaved handles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody with shaved handles?

i just got the kit with the brain, remotes, solenoids, poppers, etc. im just wondering if anybody here has their handles shaved and where they put the poppers. i can see 2 places to put mine. one in the middle (not sure about clearance issues) and the other on the bottom (really dont want the bottom of the door sticking out).

any suggestions before i go putting holes in my jambs?
    foggy headlights? wetsand... buff... WAX!!!
    if nissan motorsports is nismo does that mean honda motorsports is homo?

Re: anybody with shaved handles?

I would take your door panels off and look from inside to see where the best place is.

Im not a fan of shaved door handles, but good luck
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

I know of a few guys on here who have shaved handles. I'm not sure where they put the poppers though. I haven't seen them around too much recently, but wait and see if they chime in.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98
        I would take your door panels off and look from inside to see where the best place is.

Im not a fan of shaved door handles, but good luck
        im not talking about the solenoids. that much ive already got figured out and i havent even pulled the door panels. im referring to the poppers, the stainless steel spring loaded poppers that "pop" your door open when the solenoid kick the latch.

opinions are like *******s. everyone has one... and well, everyone elses stinks.

i could put it in the bottom corner of the door, but with a 50lb push its likely to leave the door sticking out on the bottom. i could put it in the middle of the door, but from the looks of it the rubber snubber... right where the popper would push... dosent exactly strike the jamb in the most desired position. theres plenty of places above the striker (including between the striker and the alignment pin) but it dosent leave room for the extension of the popper.

one way or another ill get em in and ill be able to do a writeup by the time im done.

Comment

I see you're from Florida, so this won't affect you, but my buddy had those on his car, and during the winter he left his car outside in the cold. Anytime there was a little layer of ice on the cars, (or worse, snow) he couldn't get his doors open. There was nothing to pull the door out with. Crazy eh?

I don't think I've seen any Camaros or Firebirds with these, but it should be nice when you get it done. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. :tup:

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroJeff™

opinions are like *******s. everyone has one... and well, everyone elses stinks.
            Amen to that. And it's usually the people with the stock nothing cars who have the stinkiest ones!

Sounds cool. Let us know how it turns out. Should look pretty slick.
            2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
            1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
            2011 Cadillac CTS-V
            2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
            2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

definately post pics of finished product!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirl
                Amen to that. And it's usually the people with the stock nothing cars who have the stinkiest ones!

Sounds cool. Let us know how it turns out. Should look pretty slick.
                X2, i wanna see it.

Comment

I think shaved handles that are done right look good, and still impress most people. Just don't expect to race the car at any dragstrip after you get it done.

Comment

thanks for the positive input guys. doing paint and body for a living i think im capable of a positive outcome :D

im going to start by installing the kit first, then remove the handles and locks after it all works properly. one good thing with our cars is the fact that our doors are not sheet metal so no welding. not that i cant do that, but panel bond ftmfw! ill definitely take pics as it progresses.

with the brain having 8 channels i have to wonder what other things i can do with it :excited:

Comment

well i got a little done tonight. ill tell ya right now, 50lb poppers are waay too much. id almost reccomend not putting poppers in at all, but im not quite done yet. heres a sneak peek at the heart of the goods...

that seems to be the best location for the solenoid. you could mount to where you dont see the bolts on the outside of the door shell, but that would take quite a bit of creativity with brackets, shims, and countless numbers of odd length bolts. ill make sure to paint the bolts gloss white (being the color of my car and all) by the time everything is said and done.
                      Last edited by CamaroJeff™; 11-15-2007, 09:11 PM.

Comment

wow... this is cool... where you getting your parts (or the kit)... how much was it? i think it'll turn out good

Comment

A video of them when you're done please !

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroJeff™
                            one good thing with our cars is the fact that our doors are not sheet metal so no welding. not that i cant do that, but panel bond ftmfw!
                            thats actually one of the worst parts about shaving the handles.

nearly everyone who has done it has had problems with the paint cracking at the fill.
                            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

I can see that, the force of shutting the door would really shack the door up, and while fiberglass can flex, body filler cannot, and would definitely be prone to cracking.

Good luck with teh project
                              sigpic
                              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                              1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X