Question about cutting antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about cutting antenna

Ok so I wanted to take the cheap route of getting a shorter antenna so I cut mine down to the size I wanted but now I've decided to strip the black rubber coating off and just polish it. what would be the easiest/quickest way to strip it down?
    1996 Silver Camaro RS, A4, K&N CAI, Flowtech exhaust, !MAF screen.

http://www.fquick.com/96silverbullet

Re: Question about cutting antenna

220 grit sand paper should work just great.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

if you cut your antenna down to the size you want, and solder pure copper wire onto the tip... then wrap the copper around the remaining length... would you lose any reception?

Comment

Ok so what I ended up doing was: i found some metal/wood stripper in my basement so i put a generous amount on the antenna and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and went back to it, took a paper towel, and literally wiped of the rubber it was amazing! thanks for all the help

Comment

That was my other suggestion, some kind of stripper. Glad it worked out for you. That stuff works pretty good.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by 96fbody
            if you cut your antenna down to the size you want, and solder pure copper wire onto the tip... then wrap the copper around the remaining length... would you lose any reception?
            You won't lose any reception. I'd suggest stripping down the antenna completely first, and you will gain reception. But why?
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

i hate our rc car antennas, i just wanted to shorten it up without losing reception.

Comment

check out my post "got my new antenna on" for pics i think it looks awesome!!

Comment

I hear ya on the R/C car thing. But you don't need to wrap wire around the antenna.
                  What most new cars do is they have the antenna mounted in the window, or in the body of the car somewhere. You can either get a kit for that or just run a wire behind the carpet in the back of the car, or up the b-pillar and above the headliner. That way you could completely shave your antenna if you wanted.
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
                    I hear ya on the R/C car thing. But you don't need to wrap wire around the antenna.
                    What most new cars do is they have the antenna mounted in the window, or in the body of the car somewhere. You can either get a kit for that or just run a wire behind the carpet in the back of the car, or up the b-pillar and above the headliner. That way you could completely shave your antenna if you wanted.
                    could i get a little more info on the carpet to b-pillar thing. i would love to shave my antenna. ive always dreamed of that. :drool:

you can send me an email at v8eetr@gmail.com if you would like...
                    or just post it here.

Comment

I just shortened mine instead of shaving it though it would have been easy since i repainted the section anyway. I never listen to the radio so i didn't mind losing reception.

Basically just take the right panel out from the hatch, and remove your right sail panel. Take the dome light off, and you should be able to pull the headliner down adequately enough to put a wire up there.
                      Then just cut the wire going to the antenna and solder a wire to the end of it. Go for the same gauge, I would guess it's probably 12 or 14 gauge. Then just run the wire to the sail panel, go up it and run the wire across the car above the headliner. Then just put it all back together.

I'm not sure how it would compare to the stock antenna, but if i had to guess I'd say probably as good if not better. If not, they also sell antenna boosters, though i'm not sure how well they work.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

thank you. i will try this tomorrow. i think. it depends on how my mouth is feeling.

Comment

I'd test out how the radio works with the hidden antenna before attempting to shave the stock one to make sure you'll be happy with it.
                          sigpic
                          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

true. but i just got my new laptop, and it has a CD burner, so i doubt i will be listening to my radio very often anymore. :]

Comment

The wire wrap around the antenna is to cut wind noise, nothing to do with reception. Probably style too.
                              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X