thinking about getting my car re-cleared... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking about getting my car re-cleared...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about getting my car re-cleared...

First off im not even sure if this is possible, but could i just get my car re-cleared, with out having to get the entire car repainted? My camaro is white, and the paint is in over all nice shape, there are a couple spots i would like to get repainted, but i dont want to redo the whole car. Another question i have is, since my car is white it doesnt have that deep shine, could i have a mettalic clear sprayed over the car to give it some depth? just trying to figure out my options, im just really trying to avoid having to repaint the whole car.

Re: thinking about getting my car re-cleared...

I tryed doing that. Didn't work out to well. I thought I could re clear my front end. I sprayed it on and it took all of the shine away, I waited 3 days to wet sand it and polish it and it turns out it lifted. The paint didn't stick to the paint on my car and my car looked like it had horrabul sun dammage. Have you thought of just giveing your car polishing compound and swirl remover and a good wax?

Comment

^^^ X2

The paint on my car wasn't looking too hot, but was in overall decent shape when I got it. I waxed the h3ll out of it with Meguiars Gold Class, taking my time to do a great job. Unfortunately I don't have any before pics, but I do have some old pics (when the bra was still on it). My car wasn't washed for almost 2 months and it still looked shinier and better than almost everything else going down the road.

Originally posted by LETZRIDE
      I've never touched a rear end before

Comment

i dont plan on doing it myself, my car washes and waxes up really nice(the clear is in pretty good shape..a little thin in one small spot but besides that is good), it just doesnt have alot of depth due to it being white. now i have seen white cars with metal flakes in them shine up with some depth, so what im really asking can i get a metal flake "clear" sprayed on the car to give it some depth?

Comment

Well I think takeing off the clear and not the paint would be harder and more work than just takeing off all the paint and respraying the whole thing so body shops probably wouldn't do it But I don't know. I saw "glitter effect" clear coat so who knows they might have some kind of mettel flake clear, but I think the best way to go is a whole paint job, learned that the hard way lol

Comment

There is a window of time you must paint on the clear coat over the base for best longevity. The paint on a car doesn't harden for a good while, and when the clear and base harden together, they bond better and last longer. If you put a coat of clear over your base, even with proper preparation, the clear wouldn't last as long, so I don't think any shop would just spray a clear coat over your factory base.

If your paint is in decent shape, with the proper compounds and some patience, you should be able to get it to look like new.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
              There is a window of time you must paint on the clear coat over the base for best longevity. The paint on a car doesn't harden for a good while, and when the clear and base harden together, they bond better and last longer. If you put a coat of clear over your base, even with proper preparation, the clear wouldn't last as long, so I don't think any shop would just spray a clear coat over your factory base.

If your paint is in decent shape, with the proper compounds and some patience, you should be able to get it to look like new.
              wish i knew that 300 bucks ago.

Comment

Zaino

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                  Good to see the site is back up
                  by 2.8 Bird
                  So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                  2 days ago
                • FirebirdGT
                  New Site Hosting Issues
                  by FirebirdGT
                  All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                  2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X