Trans Am side skirts on a Firebird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Am side skirts on a Firebird?

What does it take to put T/A side skirts on a Firebird??? Do they clip on or do I have to drill holes? Thanks

Re: Trans Am side skirts on a Firebird?

You'll have to drill holes all along the side of the lower rocker panel, just under the door. On the bottom of the rocker panel, under the car, you'll need self tapping metal screws to screw it down. I believe there may be 1 or 2 other places by the wheel wells that take a screw also.
    <b>1995 Pontiac Firebird</b> || 3.4L V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blindxeyed View Post
      You'll have to drill holes all along the side of the lower rocker panel, just under the door. On the bottom of the rocker panel, under the car, you'll need self tapping metal screws to screw it down. I believe there may be 1 or 2 other places by the wheel wells that take a screw also.

Hmm..that sucks. I'm assuming the holes are in the skirts obviously so I just line it up and then drill right?

Comment

Well, it may be a little more difficult that that. The part of the side skirt that goes up to the rocker panel just below the door (where you have to drill the holes) has metal tabs that then clip into the holes. So you'll most likely have to line the skirt up to the rocker panel and trace around the clips to determine where to drill the holes. But you'll have to do it very carefully because you also need to focus on the bottom of the skirt so that it lines up properly on the bottom as well.

Comment

Well, it may be a little more difficult that that. The part of the side skirt that goes up to the rocker panel just below the door (where you have to drill the holes) has metal tabs that then clip into the holes. So you'll most likely have to line the skirt up to the rocker panel and trace around the clips to determine where to drill the holes. But you'll have to do it very carefully because you also need to focus on the bottom of the skirt so that it lines up properly on the bottom as well.
          Great...this doesn't not sound fun lol. How do those "firebird" ground effects attach?? Do they have to have holes drilled also?

Comment

You talking about the W68 graphics? Probably the same setup on those as well, though I'm not positive on that. I don't see them being any different. It can't be too difficult, I've seen other put them on their Firebirds with great results. I have yet to do this process, as the side skirts (along with the rest of all the T/A body parts) are all in my garage. It's just what I gathered when I put the side skirts up against the rocker panel to see how I'm going to have to attach them.

Comment

Is there another part on the side skirts??? Look in these pictures

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...200880048&rd=1

Seems like the sections near the rear of the car there are holes visible from the sides if mounted, is there another piece that goes over it or whats up with those side skirts?

Comment

thats alot of money for 2 t/a sideskirts.
                i got my Wings West firebird skirts for only 100. they look better than the stock t/a skirts. mine are tucked in more so they look nice. for mine i just put 2 bolts underneath and 1 bolt on each end attached to the fender. and double sided tape

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
                  Is there another part on the side skirts??? Look in these pictures

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...200880048&rd=1

Seems like the sections near the rear of the car there are holes visible from the sides if mounted, is there another piece that goes over it or whats up with those side skirts?
                  Nope. That's all there is to it. You won't see any holes, I promise. Those are actually pretty cheap compared to this auction I was watching:
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...190454842&rd=1

Suckers went for over $400. That is just ridiculous. I only paid $156 shipped for mine.

Comment

Also, just a little hint when it comes to searching for those on ebay, try using the terms rockers, spoilers, and flares. Some people don't know the proper term is "ground effects" so you may get lucky and find a good deal that way. That's how I got mine for a good price, the guy had them listed as "Trans Am Side Rocker Spoiler Flares"

Comment

Also, just a little hint when it comes to searching for those on ebay, try using the terms rockers, spoilers, and flares. Some people don't know the proper term is "ground effects" so you may get lucky and find a good deal that way. That's how I got mine for a good price, the guy had them listed as "Trans Am Side Rocker Spoiler Flares"
                      What is that "indent" on each set??? Or is that not visible from the side??

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
                        What is that "indent" on each set??? Or is that not visible from the side??
                        Not sure what it's there for, but it'll be on the bottom so you can't see it.

In this picture: http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/db/c0/6007_12.JPG
                        The top part is actually the bottom part that goes towards the front part of the door, and attaches underneath.

This part: http://i18.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/db/c0/5caf_12.JPG
                        Is the part that attaches under the door, and is by the rear wheel.

Hope that kind of lays it out for ya. Their pictures show them upside down basically.

Comment

I actually just found this thread on LS1Tech and the guy had a great idea that I didn't even think of. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872209

Just remove those clips on the side that I was saying you would need to drill the holes for, and put double sided adhesive there instead. Then just use the self tapping screws to attach the bottom side. That's a whole lot more simple than having to drill all those holes on the side.

Comment

I actually just found this thread on LS1Tech and the guy had a great idea that I didn't even think of. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872209

Just remove those clips on the side that I was saying you would need to drill the holes for, and put double sided adhesive there instead. Then just use the self tapping screws to attach the bottom side. That's a whole lot more simple than having to drill all those holes on the side.

http://www.cleanacar.com/mmm71.html

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                              Any experience with it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...