Sunburnt Glass/Tint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunburnt Glass/Tint?

About a month ago I removed some lettering and parking stickers from the rear hatch glass. The university lettering decal consisted of individual stickers for each letter and peeled off fairly easy, at least for being 3+ years old. The razorback decal on the side was a pain and involved using a glass scraper to remove. And the parking sticker came right off.

Overall, the clean look is a huge improvement, but I've noticed something. I tried wiping all the glue residue off, but noticed that whenever the glass surface was wet it gave a reverse image of the decal that used to be there. Kind of like looking at a negative on camera film. I tried wiping it off and cleaning it again, only to see the image appear again once the glass got wet. Could this possibly be an image burnt into the tinting of the window or the actual glass itself? Or do you think it's just leftover residue from the stickers? It was especially bad where the lettering spelled out "University of Arkansas", as the droplets pooled around the area and could be noticeably read.

And one more question... I have a nasty little dealer sticker on the hatch below the spoiler that I want to remove. It has been there for at least 3 years, probably more. I'm wondering if there will be a noticeable difference in the paint underneath if I remove it. The paint is silver and has endured the sun as a non-garaged daily driver.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Re: Sunburnt Glass/Tint?

I noticed the same exact thing on my windshield. Bought it off a car lot and they had writing painted on there, can still see the writing when the windshield is wet... weird

Comment

try using something like denatured alcohol or something similar to that to see if it still does it

Comment

Try acetone (buy at any hardware store), put on gloves first though. Pour some onto a rag and rub it into the spot, let it set in for a few minutes (2, 3 ,5 minutes) and then try the glass scraper on it again. This is for glass, not painted surfaces. Me and my dad did this to get the glue off of my hatch when I had louvers on it... before the heat melted off the adhesive and left a lovely glue stain. This method got it 100%.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X